Why are black movies not coming out like they were in the 90's?

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
In the 90's it was always some kind of hood movie or Spike type movie you could wait on each year. I can't think of the last time we had a true black movie.

I was just watching Bone Thugs - Shoot Em Up - YouTube and it made wonder.

If anyone says a Tyler Perry style moves I will :pacspit: on you.

I think I'm going to blame the south. A lot of older southern blacks probably aren't going to the movies to see Friday, Juice, Menace, DP, or BNTH.

nikka u cant blame the south for shyt.we watch the same shyt..blame the bootleggers...

black movies lack originality ..n black movie goers will rant n rave about the shyt not realizing..its the same fukkin movie..

exhibit a

pn8jt.jpg

same for alot of tyler shyt...alot of his movies came from old 80s-90s shyt women of brewster place, color purple, fatal attraction ..jus modernize it..

all the hood movies been cliche'd n done to death

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Dysfunctional Friends type movies have potential.

i kinda c/s this. i look at all those white boy comedies that come out based on this premise, and i'm like, black people could easily do that shyt. the movie doesn't even need to be all black. edit: thought you was talking about vince vaughn, owen wilson, horrible bosses/hangover type comedies

but a lot of the black movies came from the hot new comedians and sexy actors back in the day. who is our young cohort of comedians a la chris tucker, martin lawrence, dl hughley, anthony johnson, bernie mac? who are the new sexy actors/actresses like boris kodjoe, omar epps, sanaa lathan, etc? (people who could act somewhat, not birds like lauren london who couldn't even act a character portraying themselves).

i definitely think singers/rappers taking roles in the late 90's through mid-00's fukked it up as well, when hollywood realized that black folk don't support just any big name in a movie with no acting skills, they pretended like there's no market for black films.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Depends on your definition on " black" movie. You seem to be talking about the rush of " hood" movies from the 90's. I think we are actually seeing more diversity with movies catering to black audiences the last 5 years or so. Maybe black audiences have outgrown generic movies based in the ghetto.

For example:
Just wright
Jumping the broom
Takers
Precious
Red Tails
Think Like a Man
precious was cool cause it was just so raw, and think like a man was actually a good comedy, but the rest of those were terrible - just wright actually made me cringe with the bad acting and predictability

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
boris kodjoe was a extra in five heartbeats...durin the heart is a house of love performance..

he sittin right there with hair..

LOUDaffair

TrippyDREAD...
Daps
Reppin
3rd Ward New Orleans, Louisiana 504 ...
Ain't no new hood movies imo cause The Wire perfectly portrayed that shyt from top to bottom. Hell look at American Gangster how they bit the fukk outta The Wire.

People also slept on Nexts Day Air last real great Hood movie that I've seen that and Ghetto Stories.