Why are black movies not coming out like they were in the 90's?

No Sleep

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Souf Caro
In the 90's it was always some kind of hood movie or Spike type movie you could wait on each year. I can't think of the last time we had a true black movie.

I was just watching Bone Thugs - Shoot Em Up - YouTube and it made wonder.

If anyone says a Tyler Perry style moves I will :pacspit: on you.

I think I'm going to blame the south. A lot of older southern blacks probably aren't going to the movies to see Friday, Juice, Menace, DP, or BNTH.

SnugglesDaBear

Superstar
Daps
black hollywood is pretty much dead now. think about it, that hood rat lauren london is still getting roles.

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
I've always wondered this. I dont fukk wit tyler perry movies.

And I hate when black people be on some "we dont need negative images of black people on the big screen"

fukk that. I wanna be entertained, and if it takes a nikka gettin murked in the alley while scratchin off lottery tickets...... :yeshrug:

No Sleep

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Souf Caro
Naw, I'm not blaming the south it's the southern older black church.

Do you see where I'm from in the SOUTH.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Black hollywood has been dead man, when rappers started taking over legit roles for black actors it got saturated and corny...

I love cube but his formula for making cheap movies that made bank also kind of backfired because it led up to the whole current era of tyler perry movies where there is basically a small ass budget compared to what spike lee or hughues brothers would have had back in the day.

these new black hollywood films are all made extremely cheap and now this precedent has made it harder to get a good budget black film made in hollywood....

Texas2step

H-Town it's NOT our year
Daps
Black hollywood has been dead man, when rappers started taking over legit roles for black actors it got saturated and corny...

I love cube but his formula for making cheap movies that made bank also kind of backfired because it led up to the whole current era of tyler perry movies where there is basically a small ass budget compared to what spike lee or hughues brothers would have had back in the day.

these new black hollywood films are all made extremely cheap and now this precedent has made it harder to get a good budget black film made in hollywood....

:childplease: dumbest shyt I read in a while

HoLLaBaCK

SOHH ICEY
Daps
Reppin
New York
They aren't considered money makers by Hollywood standards.

Its gonna take shyt like Robert Townsend did in the 80's to bring it back. He put his own money into it, maxed out credit cards to get his early films made.

Also its gonna take people actually supporting these movies with their $$. Not downloading it or copping a bootlegg. It's a sad day when the only real black representation in films right now is Tyler Perry's c00nfest.

Edit: Just wanted to give some props to Cube...yeah he may not be the nikka we love to hate anymore, he is holding those films down though.

Crakface

Daps
Reppin
L.A
Dysfunctional Friends type movies have potential. Thats the future of black drama. Just need better actors. The new stuff is coming you guys. Its bubbling in the play circuit right now.

Ice Water

Nothing
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We need stronger actors that happen to be black so the film isn't just a "Black" film. Great Black actors captivate all audiences. Like Morgan Freeman...he's respected cause he's a great damn actor. We need to stop settlin for B level actors in predictable films, with predictable plots.

The classic Black films are usually. The Gangster Drug Lord, rags to riches theme. The Cheating bad Relationship Comedy, or the We gettin married, but not ready to commit movie. These movies are ho hum and predictable.

The Good Black actor will elevate what a good "Black Film" is. We need more classics like the Color Purple. Great Plot, Great Acting. It trenscends being a black film.

No Sleep

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Souf Caro
Dysfunctional Friends type movies have potential. Thats the future of black drama. Just need better actors. The new stuff is coming you guys. Its bubbling in the play circuit right now.

That shyt was a mess. I did see a movie call "King of Paper Chasing" and the acting was awful but with more money put behind it this could have been a good film.

Some of my favorite black films are Soldier Story, Devil In a Blue Dress. Aside from Red Tails we don't get films like this.