Why are AA's the only ones who claim to be indigenous to their country?

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
My intention with this thread is not to start another fight between different ethnic Black groups (but someone probably will anyways) :francis:

I'm just genuinely curious about this though. Other groups of Black people were taken as slaves from West Africa to other countries. Most slaves didn't even end up in America. Black people from the Caribbean, Latin countries, Brazil and other places seem to accept this history.

All AA's aren't doing this and it's not a large majority either...it's a fringe group who claim they are Native, Hebrews, etc. This psuedo-history seems to be growing in number though.

The crux of my question is why are AA's the only ones claiming an alternative history? :jbhmm:

I could be wrong here...but I don't see other groups who are also descendants of slaves doing this.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
sadly alot of it has to do with self hate and not wanting to be associated with being the descendents of slaves.
as well alot of it has to do with negative images about Africa that have been constantly broadcasted through western media.
if the media showed more of the good things about africa...like thriving industries, industrialized cities, booming economies. instead of civil war...famine....poverty...etc....the outlook would be different.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I've seen this topic pop up a few times. I was waiting for someone from the continent to add this extension of the story, and if they have I'm sorry to be redundant.

This occurs from a fringe group on the continent of Africa as well, though they obviously aren't lying about being native to where they live.

Instead there are these fake jew origin stories in parts of Africa. Most notably the Igbos claiming to be the "lost tribe of Israel". Person from Nigeria can come here and shed light on that fringe group of people and why the claim what they claim and how valid those claims are.. To an outsider, it appears to be along the same lines of the fringe group of AAs claiming Moor, Hebrew Israelite or whatever the new alternative identity is these days.

To all such people, I say NEGRO, PLEASE!!!!!

BlackPrint

The Mayor
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I think it's more about not wanting to be associated with Africa, a good bit of my family is of the "I aint from Africa I'm from Crenshaw Mafia" variety and think of Africans as hut people.

In the absence of a true homeland, we try to be the most Apple pie eatinest nigras we can possibly be and swear violent loyalty to a country that has consistently brough us back to earth with a lasso around our necks.

Both of these facets of our identity are manufactured and polished by the proverbial "white man" and the more we play into it, the further we become the instruments of our own imprisonment, hobbling ourselves culturally, economically and socially (We hate EVERYONE except White Americans\Europeans.)

I think those two things make for the basis of all these far-out identities we try to take on (Aborginial Americans, Moors, Israealites)

They all share a passive approach to European influence\admixture but virulent opposition to anything African... Wacka said it yesterday "I have ZERO African descent.. I'm Native American... the rest is European"

That's not to say the inverse isn't always true.. I myself cling to Africa as a collective for that very resaon, knowing full well that there are Africans (influenced by whites tho) that call me akata and don't see me as fam.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I've seen this topic pop up a few times. I was waiting for someone from the continent to add this extension of the story, and if they have I'm sorry to be redundant.

This occurs from a fringe group on the continent of Africa as well, though they obviously aren't lying about being native to where they live.

Instead there are these fake jew origin stories in parts of Africa. Most notably the Igbos claiming to be the "lost tribe of Israel". Person from Nigeria can come here and shed light on that fringe group of people and why the claim what they claim and how valid those claims are.. To an outsider, it appears to be along the same lines of the fringe group of AAs claiming Moor, Hebrew Israelite or whatever the new alternative identity is these days.

I'm Nigerian and I don't even get that shyt and that's a very small fringe group that doesn't even register a blip on anybody's radar.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I think it's more about not wanting to be associated with Africa, a good bit of my family is of the "I aint from Africa I'm from Crenshaw Mafia" variety and think of Africans as hut people.
Gentrification and forced migrations/relocations hurt this type of thinking completely.

there is no permanent home for black people in this country.

Jemmy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

There were many slaves who were referred to as Moors though just like terms like Mandingo, Gola and Negro were used too. It really varied on terms from region to region. What tribal groups were really referring to themselves as "African" back then during the transatlantic slave trade anyway? When are things tribal and when aren't they?

I'm not Nigerian but what makes the Igbo's stories that have been passed down hundreds of years invalid compared to Russian Jews?

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I'm Nigerian and I don't even get that shyt and that's a very small fringe group that doesn't even register a blip on anybody's radar.

All these identity denial groups are tiny fringe amount of people. Over here the internet just gives them an inordinate amount of exposure.

I also think that the alternate identity stuff appeals to uneducated segments of the population. They are more likely to not know anything about history and believe the "white man made up the entire slave trade" nonsense....or the "we are lost tribe of jews" foolishness............or the "we are arabs" shyt that goes on in the Sudan and other parts.

Poorly educated make the best marks for cons.

StarGirl

All Star
Daps
My intention with this thread is not to start another fight between different ethnic Black groups (but someone probably will anyways) :francis:

I'm just genuinely curious about this though. Other groups of Black people were taken as slaves from West Africa to other countries. Most slaves didn't even end up in America. Black people from the Caribbean, Latin countries, Brazil and other places seem to accept this history.

All AA's aren't doing this and it's not a large majority either...it's a fringe group who claim they are Native, Hebrews, etc. This psuedo-history seems to be growing in number though.

The crux of my question is why are AA's the only ones claiming an alternative history? :jbhmm:

I could be wrong here...but I don't see other groups who are also descendants of slaves doing this.

Reserved