White washed films have lost over half a billion in last decade

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
https://qz.com/960600/whitewashing-g...-bad-business/

In particular, over the past decade, there have been 18 major studio releases that prominently feature “racially dysmorphic” casting, from 2008’s 21 (which re-imagined a team of mostly Asian-American blackjack players as white characters played by Jim Sturgess, Jacob Pitts and Kevin Spacey), to last year’s Doctor Strange (featuring Tilda Swinton as a white, female Ancient One) and Gods of Egypt (with Gerard Butler as Set, an Egyptian god by way of Scotland), all the way to this year’s Ghost in the Shell. (For the purpose of this analysis, only films that feature white performers in culturally inexplicable settings or depictions, or made to look nonwhite through cosmetics, have been included—not remakes that effectively relocate the narrative into a new setting or situation.)

Of these 18 films, only six were profitable. Of the profitable ones, only three—21, Doctor Strange and Star Trek: Into Darkness (featuring Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan Noonian Singh)—could be rated unqualified hits. But even given these successes, the 18 films will have collectively lost nearly half a billion dollars for their studios, accounting for production and marketing expenses—a staggering amount, even in today’s go-big-or-go-home Hollywood economy.

qS8M1YR.png

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
i've only seen star trek and far as I can remember I finished tropic thunder

doctor strange is still on my 'to watch' list

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
How is speed racer whitewashed? it might have been manga but those weren't *ooks :ohhh:

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Good. fukk them hollywood white folks

Now, I'm not familiar with all those films so I'm not sure the extremes of the white washing for each but I think an even stronger case could be made if they further focused on the ones where the lead character was white washed.

i.e. the Dr. Strange and Star Trek ones aren't going to be as egregious and detrimental as Gods of Egypt, Ghost in the Shell and Dragon Ball Evolution, because they cushion it with either a somewhat diverse main cast (where the main character is traditionally white anyway) or just general unfamiliarity from casuals about the character that was white washed.

But at some point, especially with Luke Cage and when Black Panther and the Miles Morales animated films crush the buildings, Hollywood once again wouldn't have any excuses. Not that that's stopped them before.
And it seems like they were trying to double down on Asians as of late

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Gods of egypt was ok at best... But no way in fukk was I spending money on that shyt:mjlol:

Didn't know Ghost in The Shell flopped that hard though