Which movies had the best theater experiences?

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Was about to write this in the Avengers: Infinity War thread but it got raftered before I could hit the post button:

Bumping again because this one of the best threads in Coli history. The hype in the lead up after every Phase 3 film, The theories, the debates, sharing reactions from opening weekend...Peak MCU, peak Coli.

I posted in this 106 times and didn't even crack the top 25.
A top tier cinematic experience. An incredible film that more than lived up to all the hype and was like none I had ever seen :wow:. We’d seen movies where the bad guy wins (empire strikes back, dead man’s chest), but not one where it just ends on that note. A movie where the bad guy is really the central character, that takes dozens of characters from 15+ movies and fits them all together without feeling bloated or like it didn’t give everything time to breathe :wow:. That shyt ain’t easy either. At world’s End had this issue for example. Needed 1-2 more drafts of its script to refine it a bit more. The theater reactions were like nothing I’d ever experienced too. That introduction to Thanos :sadcam:. Cap and friends showing up at the train station :myman:. T’Challa & Cap sprinting for the opening in the energy field :whoo:. “Why is Gamora” & “I’ve become invisible” :dead:. The soul stone :damn:. Thor’s arrival in Wakanda and the audience erupting:ahh: :blessed::banderas::noah:. THAT moment from quill :martin: :stopitslime: :snoop:. Thanos showing up in Wakanda :demonic:. Everyone disintegrating at the end with Steve’s horrified realization of what’s happened while Thanos finally sits down on his farm totally calm, at peace, and seemingly relieved that he’s finally finished his work :ohhh: :damn:

I feel so bad for anyone who had this movie spoiled or didn’t see it in a packed theater.

List some other movies that were tier 0 viewing experiences in the theater with a packed house you’ve been a part of

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
I didn't think my bumping of the IW thread was gonna get it raftered lol. Anyways good thread idea man. I've had a few movie experiences in my life where I saw an entire crowd go nuts. All of these were on opening weekends:

2008, The Dark Knight - Joker's Pencil Trick

2012, Avengers - Hulk ragdolling Loki

2015, Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens - Opening Crawl (everyone was just hyped to have Star Wars back, we didn't know what was coming lol)

2018, Avengers Infinity War - Bring Me Thanos (separate: I GASPED when Red Skull was revealed but the crowd didn't lol)

2019, Avengers Endgame - Cap wielding Mjolnir

I don't wanna see movie theaters die man :mjcry: stop pirating brehs, let me build some memories with my future kids

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I didn't think my bumping of the IW thread was gonna get it raftered lol. Anyways good thread idea man. I've had a few movie experiences in my life where I saw an entire crowd go nuts. All of these were on opening weekends:

2008, The Dark Knight - Joker's Pencil Trick

2012, Avengers - Hulk ragdolling Loki

2015, Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens - Opening Crawl (everyone was just hyped to have Star Wars back, we didn't know what was coming lol)

2018, Avengers Infinity War - Bring Me Thanos (separate: I GASPED when Red Skull was revealed but the crowd didn't lol)

2019, Avengers Endgame - Cap wielding Mjolnir

I don't wanna see movie theaters die man :mjcry: stop pirating brehs, let me build some memories with my future kids
It’s the ticket prices. I’ve got a collection of old movie and game tickets when you still got those things on paper as opposed to on your phone. My ticket to see revenge of the sith on imax at pointe Orlando on a Friday night was $5.75 with no discounts. The average ticket is now close to triple that :snoop:. It’s killed comedy which is always the best theater experience if the movie is funny. Just the red band trailer for Pineapple Express had the whole theater in there to see Harold and Kumar escape from Guantanamo bay on the floor. “Dude! Dude! DUDE! *dude gets shot* screaming and coughing while Seth Rogen tosses the roach*” :bryan:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Two of the most fun experiences I had at the theater was Gravity and Get Out. First one for the special effects that hit really different on the big screen, and Get Out because the theater was packed and everyone had high expectations and the movie delivered. You could feel the energy in the theater, even after the movie commenting/laughing with random people. Really fun.

DosCadenaz

Superstar
Daps
First avengers was better than all the others because it was before seating numbers n shyt and we had mf sitting on steps.

I’ll add the first Conjuring was fire too

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
Paid in full ….. the whole hood was in the theaters….. mad people snuck into the theaters to watch that shyt …. Mad people was standing up in the back of the theater …… we had it on bootleg months prior to the release but some scenes were missing

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Had a lot of fun with ‘Smile’ in Dolby Cinema. It was a rowdy, packed house on a preview night. Not a masterpiece or anything, it actually like an early 2000s horror flick, but my audience was very much onboard with it. Could tell the scares and sound design were on point that evening due to the amount of scattered popcorn there was on the floor when the lights came back on. Either that or they were some really clumsy eaters.

It’s definitely one of those films I feel that was enhanced by the audience, because I haven’t watched it again since.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
1. The Empire Strikes Back was a crazy theatre experience. I was 6 years old and I still remember everyone gasping together at the reveals and twists. Probably cemented my love for watching movies in a packed theatre
2. Terminator 2- you could feel the audience vibrating out of the seat.
3. Aliens- people were not ready, even though they'd seen the first one, the second one took it to a new level. I remember a lot of 'oh my gods'
4. The Ring- this is the first time I've ever seen grown men jump and yelp like little girls. When she came out of that tv..... :banderas:
5. The Blair Witch- when it came out, it was the first of its kind and the marketing campaign looked realistic enough that no one knew if it was fake. So people were legitimately concerned and by the end of the movie, there was just silence. The fact that there were no credits or press tours really made everyone think they were watching real found footage.
6. Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows- the end of an era. There was a lot of crying before the credits even started and at the end of the movie. Just really a special bonding experience for midnight Potter fans who came to see it opening night.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Most of mine are pre 2000.

Batman 89 was lit af.

T2 surpassed it. Probably still my most memorable experience.

Jurassic Park surpassed that as far as hype and it was so crowded that weekend.

Id4 surpassed that as far as hype went. Great time in the theater with that movie.

Dumb and Dumber I remember. People were dying laughing.

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
1. The Empire Strikes Back was a crazy theatre experience. I was 6 years old and I still remember everyone gasping together at the reveals and twists.

I enjoyed your post. It's cool reading the experience of someone who was actually there in the theater for those classic films.

Now, with that preamble out of the way, I would like to make a joke at your :flabbynsick: expense if I may, seeing as you are 50 years old. :old:

Screenshot-20240713-150205.png

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I enjoyed your post. It's cool reading the experience of someone who was actually there in the theater for those classic films.

Now, with that preamble out of the way, I would like to make a joke at your :flabbynsick: expense if I may, seeing as you are 50 years old. :old:

Screenshot-20240713-150205.png
:dead: :heh::why::skip: