SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
word?

Go on Youtube and see all the Kanye/Kendrick fans complaining about how rap was too ignorant/gangsta before. and how modern rap is way better for that reason alone.

are you just saying that because you're an early 80s/late 70s baby?
YouTube comments aren't a litmus test for anything.

Traditional hiphop = gangsta?

That's news to me

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
YouTube comments aren't a litmus test for anything.

Not quite true, but I get your point.

Traditional hiphop = gangsta?

That's news to me

Based on what I read from youngins online. I could be wrong.

The one thing I wonder about modern rap is why they ditched hard drums. It takes the whole threatening/street vibe out of hip hop.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Alot of Hip Hop eras are PIFF to me. But to me hands down it's the 1993-1998 era :banderas:

An era of pure honesty. An era of blending hardcore street themes and hard drums, mixed with progressive eclectic instrumentals. Plus lyricism was at it's peak IMO

Illmatic
Ready to Die
Doggystyle
Safe + Sound
All Eyez on Me
Ironman
Enter the 36 Chambers
The Infamous
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Reasonable Doubt
In My Lifetime Vol 1
Life After Death
Atliens
Aquemini
Resurrection
Ridin Dirty
The Diary

Hands down it's this era. Just unbelievable. There's too many Classics to name:damn:
This is simply a dumb thread

Everyone is going to pick the era they grew in which the music became a soundtrack to their life of some sort

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Early 2000s is by far the most overrated period. Had some talent, but nothing really groundbreaking. And those were my "prime" years so I'm not biased.

Have ya'll ever noticed that there are very few rap stars born between 1982-1987. Those are the ones who came up in the early 2000s. We had wack influences. All early 2000s stars were born in the 70s (or 60s like Jigga) . Didn't really have anyone in our age range to identify with...

The Bilingual Gringo

Tucked in to the socks
Supporter
Daps
I'm straddling the Golden and Hardcore as that is what I listened to and still listen to the most to this day.

However, the early 2000 underground movements were just :banderas: I left rap in the late 90's to get into downtempo and trip-hop, but then when labels like Quannum and groups like Jurassic 5 came out, it brought me right back.

DJ Mart-Kos

All Star
Daps
I'm straddling the Golden and Hardcore as that is what I listened to and still listen to the most to this day.

However, the early 2000 underground movements were just :banderas: I left rap in the late 90's to get into downtempo and trip-hop, but then when labels like Quannum and groups like Jurassic 5 came out, it brought me right back.

Yep, the Underground was really sick in early 2000's.
That's when i got into Hip-Hop.
In the early 2000's Hip-Hop was bigger than it ever was or will be.

SouljaVoy

♥ Black Love
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta,GA
:blessed: da greatest era of all time :blessed:

BUT i would NOT categorizes it as hardcore era
when u have all time classic that was NOT hardcore albums

• midnite marauders -tribe
  • the score -fugees
  • aquemini -kast
  • ressurrection -common
  • black star -mis & kweli
  • miseducation -l boogie
  • main ingredient -pete rock & CL
  • illedelph halflife -roots

in my office at work: as im typing this shyt :mjcry::mjcry::mjcry:

i wanna go back !!!!

I agree with your statement about not calling it a "hardcore" era... I mean nikkas forget about Digable Planets, Tribe Called Quest, The Pharcyde, Camp-lo, Souls of Mischief... My God it's just too many to name :snoop:

Let's not forget about different regions had DOPE underground artist, with their own sound... Miami had that bass shyt, Memphis had that Satanic 666 shyt, Texas had that chopped & screwed shyt, Chi-town had that Do or Die shyt, New Orleans had that "No limit, Master P, Bout it bout it shyt" (real hiphop heads know where this quote comes from) , Ohio came out with that Bone Thugs n Harmony shyt, the West Coast had their G-funk shyt but Sac town, and the bay had their own sounds, NY had their sound.... The entire 90's was just a great era of hiphop.

But the 90's in my opinion had the best music of any genre... R&B, Rap, Rock, even pop was better than this bullshyt out now. I'd rather listen to some backstreet boys than some of these fukk nikkas out today. :sas2: