Which DNA test is best for African Americans?

Daps
Gotta check it out. Did 23andMe which is pretty good overall but they don't have enough reference populations for Africa.

Seen mixed people with 40% SSA get detailed west/central African results while Geechie/Gullah people that are 90%+ SSA only get the basic "Nigerian" or "Angolan/Congolese" categories. My Euro results at only 10.5% had more details.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think that Familytree is the best between 23andme, AncesryDNA, African Ancestry and the National Geographic tests.

Familytree's African breakdown has not changed for me. However, over the years 23andme and AncestryDNA have had differing results and just within the last update last year 23andme finally got closer to the percentages that Familytree DNA calculated for me 5 years ago. However, I must admit that African Ancestry nailed the Haplogroups and then 23andme results confirmed those African Ancestry findings. AncestryDNA is pretty useless except for finding relatives.

Akae Beka

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've done my heritage, ancestry.com and recently African Ancestry.
Ancestry.com is probably the best due to their samples but things do change a bit much.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They gone have a clone of you slaving in the Gulags of Siberia
If you stopped and thought about it for a few moments every living thing is a clone. Think about it for a moment, when we die we leave our cloned selves (bodies) behind.

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Gotta check it out. Did 23andMe which is pretty good overall but they don't have enough reference populations for Africa.

Seen mixed people with 40% SSA get detailed west/central African results while Geechie/Gullah people that are 90%+ SSA only get the basic "Nigerian" or "Angolan/Congolese" categories. My Euro results at only 10.5% had more details.

23andMe has African ethnic groups depending on how long ago you have ancestry from those groups. If it’s more than 300 years old, it may struggle to identify those ancestral connections.

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
23andme seems like my favorite

Also, why do Americans pronounce Yoruba as "your-roo-bah"?:mjtf:

It's "you-row-bah"

• Dap
Reactions: QBN