• Total voters

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
He does say he is a dikk ridding troll who does it for the attention. LA isnt even urban. Chicago, NYC, D.C,Philly that's Urban

Don't even bother with this thread
Lmao....wrong...

You ain't been nowhere in LA. The only city in the entire US that is more urban than LA is NY, and that's because NY is more urban than everywhere lol...

I don't know why East Coast cats think that since LA looks different it isn't urban...
This nikka named Chicago but the blacc areas in LA are just as dense if not more dense than the black areas of Chicago. And that's with la being a sprawl. Imagine if la was designed the way the east coast was with 10 story apartments everywhere
Y'all tell me what the fukk you're talking about? What does it even mean for a city to be "urban" or not? How would LA be "not even urban" or "more urban than Chicago" or whatever that's even supposed to mean?

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Y'all tell me what the fukk you're talking about? What does it even mean for a city to be "urban" or not? How would LA be "not even urban" or "more urban than Chicago" or whatever that's even supposed to mean?
I said urban because If I said hood then alot of movies wouldn't get counted.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Also how tf did OP forget Training Day?
I always think of Training Day cause they stay driving by hoods I know....but it never felt like a street movie to me cause you're just following cops around the whole time. They visit The Jungle maybe twice, the rest of the time you're just driving by neighborhoods and seeing cops interact with cops, you ain't seeing nothing of folk living their lives.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Its fukked up we NEVER got a early 2010s film on the modern hoodlife of Chicago. A very damn shame. @Barnett114 @How Sway? @K.Dot

We should've gotten an urban crime drama on the Chicago drill movement movement which was buzzing and the crime wave during that time. shyt would've been crazy. I'll never forgive Spike Lee for that trash ass "Chiraq" film.:scust: An early 2010s Chi hood film could've been a modern Menace 2 Society.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Also how tf did OP forget Training Day? That is one of the MVPs of LA urban films.
Also how tf OP miss "Straight Outta Compton"? :dahell:

Two LA heavy hitters but he doesn't miss Baby Boy?:dahell: You can also add in "Tales from the Hood" as most of the settings were in LA. Hell you can add Gridiron Gang if you want to.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
This nikka named Chicago but the blacc areas in LA are just as dense if not more dense than the black areas of Chicago. And that's with la being a sprawl. Imagine if la was designed the way the east coast was with 10 story apartments everywhere

See, I do love the Northeast, particularly the Upstate NY-->PA-->Maryland-->Virginia stretch. Probably my favorite mini-region in the country...

But alot of East Coasters do have some ignorant biases about California, one of which being LA somehow isn't urban even though South Central by itself is bigger than the entire cities of Boston or DC. South LA + Central LA is bigger than the entire city of Philly, but somehow LA isn't urban...

They just have a type of city they are used to seeing, and Cali cities don't look like what they are used to viewing as urban...

This whole thread is hitting at something I was thinking the other day....has anyone ever made a good movie about the 2000s or 2010s era of LA streets? I swear that EVERY movie about LA is always about that 1980s/1990s period when shyt was crazy....but that's not the LA I know. I was either too young or out of town when that shyt was going down. The Inglewood/South LA that I know is late 1990s, 2000s, 2010s....and nothing I see in film looks like that. I don't mean cop movies either, I mean movies showing the actual lives on the streets. Maybe Baby Boy is the closest, I dunno.

Insecure, bro. I mentioned this a few weeks ago, Insecure is the only modern, present depiction of life in Black LA (that ain't some disconnected black family in the burbs like in Blackish) and takes place in North Inglewood. You from The Wood, I'm sure you'll recognize alot of blocks on there. And it's actually real and authentic and a damn good sitcom...

Urban in the sense that it has the typical descriptors of "city life"---->busy, dense, active, lot of shyt to do, etc. The disconnect is that Northerners/Easterners typically perceive "urban" as having high rise towers or attached housing. Obviously LA has those two in lesser degree but the issue is those aren't the only urban architectural styles...

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its fukked up we NEVER got a early 2010s film on the modern hoodlife of Chicago. A very damn shame. @Barnett114 @How Sway? @K.Dot

We should've gotten an urban crime drama on the Chicago drill movement movement which was buzzing and the crime wave during that time. shyt would've been crazy. I'll never forgive Spike Lee for that trash ass "Chiraq" film.:scust: An early 2010s Chi hood film could've been a modern Menace 2 Society.
We got chiraq by spike Lee though :troll:

Jokes aside there's been quite a few shows that depict Chicago of this era so it's all good.

Me id rather see a movie based off 1970s or 1980s chicago

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
population density doesn't tell the whole story esp when most ghettos in Chicago (and the Midwest ) are EIther bombed out and abandoned or some project building got torn down and replaced with nothing.

Some of these neighborhoods have lost like half their population since the 70s.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Insecure, bro. I mentioned this a few weeks ago, Insecure is the only modern, present depiction of life in Black LA (that ain't some disconnected black family in the burbs like in Blackish) and takes place in North Inglewood. You from The Wood, I'm sure you'll recognize alot of blocks on there. And it's actually real and authentic and a damn good sitcom...
That ain't exactly what I was hoping for but I should give it a look now. :francis:

Dope is the other one I have to check out

Last edited:

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
population density doesn't tell the whole story esp when most ghettos in Chicago (and the Midwest ) are EIther bombed out and abandoned or some project building got torn down and replaced with nothing.

Some of these neighborhoods have lost like half their population since the 70s.
LA is urban