Whenever I hear somebody attack rap as simplistic or an easy art form....

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Btw..... I don't care what anyone say's, this line has harmed the culture more than anything Eminem has done.

That line didn't do jack to harm the culture. Everyone was already dumbing down their lyrics, Jay was just the first to admit it. And this is the guy who was rapping about money from day one, I wouldn't call him the poster boy for the genre.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
how is it simple?

are you talking about the lyrics or the production? or both?

Both are simple, or at least can be simple. They can also be very complex, but there are a lot of classic hip hop songs with incredibly simple lyrics and production.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not a matter of other rappers having the idea, it's when the poster boy of your genre blatantly days he's a sellout and just looking to make money does the credibility of the genre go down. If the person who is considered the best/king of your genre and he doesn't even take it seriously, what are others going to think.

Again it's not a matter of what other rappers may think. It's like The Red Hot Chili Peppers saying a comment that Foster The People said. Who's words are going to hold more weight. When your at the forefront and want to be the KING of you genre and want your genre to be respected, you have to watch your words.

In closing, do you think John Starks words hold more weight than Jordan's in the basketball world.

He clearly never said that though.
That's the conclusion YOU DREW from that specific line.
I don't think a guy whose rapped over 20 years, continues to release albums and even heads his own label would continue to do so if he didn't actually enjoy the music.

There are MUCH,MUCH bigger targets than Jay-Z most of whom he sh1ts on artistically and skillwise.

Mask and Da Glock

Posting From Rehab
Daps
hmmm..some hip-hop is literary and can be used in a school setting. College? No, unless it's an example of a literary device (woopty doo, any type of creative writing should have a literary device, lmfao if it didn't it would just be words) or specifically a class about rap (what the gentleman before said) in most cases rap uses literary devices in too obvious and one-sided ways for real literary discussion to happen, when people actually know what they're talking about. You could break down a wu-tang song in an hour and extrapolate everything you need to know from it but an emily dikkinson poem will take two classes and a paper. Some rappers are more "literary" than others, and it's NOT the one's you would think. I promise you that. SUBTEXT

IVS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
In the sky
Rap is great because it contains all elements of poetry and because it can be paired with rhythms, and consist of rhymes, it is the ultimate teaching tool when utilized properly. Muse-ic is powerful and rap one of the ultimate forms of Music IMO.

Chief Beef

KojiBeef Abdul-Jabaar
Daps

YOU THINK THIS shyt IS SIMPLE :damn:

Last edited by a moderator:

ZEB WALTON

ayo! - BEZ
Daps
Reppin
No Father To MY Style.. A Son Unique
its 2012, i got tired sonning people for that argument back in 97. anyone who stills says that is a cac

that said

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZOYm3YkLWQ"]Wu-Tang Clan-Impossible - YouTube[/ame]

Daps
Reppin
Oakland
rap is the MOST COMPLEX of the word based musical arts. Anybody who thinks otherwise is a moron. It's the apex. There will never be anything higher than this :bow:

phatphuck

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
they mustve been watching a lil wayne video...if i dont know nothin about this artform i wouldve wanted to smack the ish outa that chump too

jalamanta

GOAT
Daps
Rap is made to be listened in whips. To bang hard. No grown man listens to this shyt at home. As a matter of fact, no grown man takes it seriously at all.

Nobody became wiser or more sophisticated cause they listened to rap. :smugfavre:

Ol' I listen to Nas so I have deep profound knowledge of life ass nikkas