When you look back to hip hop is the 00's

YBE

Banned
Daps
I'm 23 so I was in my teens in the 2000's I think the 2000's was trash the early 2000s was OK though nuttin is seeing the 90's though

I'm 24, so i pretty much came of age in the early to mid 2000s. Hip Hop pretty much took a nose dive around 2005. Went through a Great Depression from 2007-2009 :noah:

The last few years, things have been looking up. It's just a little soft now. I think if people knew just how bad rap was about to get, they would've been more appreciative to the artists in the early 2000s. In hindsight, Nelly & Ja Rule really weren't that bad.

The_Third_Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You can't say shyt about DMX now without being called a kid lol! I remember when I tried to tell people that "Dmx is not that bad!" they looked at me crazy when I said X is better rapper than Freddie Foxxx

"get rich or die trying" was considered garbage. Now it's a classic.

It's kind of sad seeing man, n1ggas pooped all over rap in the 90s too. Saying death row was ruining the art-form anyone remember that? or am I the only one?

Yeah, I remember hiphop fans not liking snoop

Bed$tuy

Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth šŸ‡­šŸ‡¹
Daps
Reppin
BedStuy, Brooklyn
just trying to get my post count up..... dont mean to be rude

look for a thread about Top 50 lyricists Source edition magazine scans

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
You can't say shyt about DMX now without being called a kid lol! I remember when I tried to tell people that "Dmx is not that bad!" they looked at me crazy when I said X is better rapper than Freddie Foxxx

:why: For some reaon I remember all these artists being highly praised when they came out..maybe it's just me.

John Hull

You canā€™t see me!
Daps
Reppin
Studio gangstas
When I stopped hating and actually started listening to the newer cats objectively I felt re-invigorated about the music. Lotta heat coming out, but you gotta let go of the past.

Keeping it 100, I hated a lot of sh*t in the 90's too. We used to regularly sh*t on artists that I see these YouTube kids 'reminiscing' about and they wasn't even born yet.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I agree with those who said it's actually better now than it was about 5 years ago. There was a lotta wack shyt in the '00s, but as has been noted in the thread, there's alot of stuff that gets looked at more fondly in retrospect from EVERY era. As time goes by, it becomes easy to forget (and sometimes forgive) the shyt you didn't like. For me, I can say I remember the early '00s more fondly than I did while in the moment... because while I still avidly listened to new music on the regular I was kinda on "why can't it be like back in the '90s" mode at the time. And once shyt DID actually get weak (around '06), I couldn't even bring myself to be interested in the new music that was out. Basically, it took '06-'07 for me to appreciate '02-'03.

Even with the '90s, people sometimes like to paint this picture like everything was great and there was nothing to dislike... and I don't quite recall it being like that at all. There were underground heads who hated Biggie and Snoop, and wouldn't be caught dead listenin' to stuff like Bone Thugs N Harmony. There were people who only listened to "hot" rappers and weren't even payin' Nas much mind until "If I Ruled...". You had people who only liked rappity-rap ass rappers and hated anybody who wasn't one. Then you had people who were still so caught up on the '80s that they were slow to give props to anything new. And of course the coastal shyt was goin' on, so there were people shyttin' on anything from the opposite side of the country... there was a lot more bytchin' about hip-hop in the '90s during the '90s than you'll find now. It wasn't just a bunch of "yoooo this is such a classic era we're livin' in! We're gonna love all these songs and albums 20 years from now!"

There's some stuff I'm convinced I'll never have a change of heart about. I don't feel that I'll ever think Chingy wasn't terrible, or that maybe I shoulda gave Mike Jones a chance. Some stuff can't be changed by nostalgia. But the same thing is gonna happen with '00s that happened with every decade before it. The good and great will be remembered, the wack shyt will be made fun of and forgotten, and some of the stuff that seemed wack at the time will go in the "not so bad" pile.

MoneyBags

Dapper Don Don Boss of Bosses Chief of Chiefs
Daps
Reppin
East Side!
nostalgia definitely clouds judgement. theres so much talent in this generation its ridiculous. not focusing only on the mainstream rappers u got

fashawn
nipsey hussle
jay electronica
pac div
dom kennedy
boldy james
big krit
killa kyleon
gunplay
progressive era

and then mainstream guys
black hippy
tyga
wale
j cole
big sean
odd future

and theres even more than that. anyone who honestly believes hip hop is dead should just stop posting :aicmon:

that list is sad, man. out of all these new nikkas, there's only 2-3 that make dope music. of course, it's all subjected to opinion.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Even with the '90s, people sometimes like to paint this picture like everything was great and there was nothing to dislike... and I don't quite recall it being like that at all. There were underground heads who hated Biggie and Snoop, and wouldn't be caught dead listenin' to stuff like Bone Thugs N Harmony. There were people who only listened to "hot" rappers and weren't even payin' Nas much mind until "If I Ruled...". You had people who only liked rappity-rap ass rappers and hated anybody who wasn't one. Then you had people who were still so caught up on the '80s that they were slow to give props to anything new. And of course the coastal shyt was goin' on, so there were people shyttin' on anything from the opposite side of the country... there was a lot more bytchin' about hip-hop in the '90s during the '90s than you'll find now. It wasn't just a bunch of "yoooo this is such a classic era we're livin' in! We're gonna love all these songs and albums 20 years from now!"

and most of those same people that hated those artists, still hate them to this day. and theyll still most likely say that that era is the best or one of the best times for rap.

i dont see the point of bringing this up.

one thing that some of yall arent really understanding is that most people have their set of rappers that they like, a set of rappers that they hate, and they pretty much disregard everything in between.

every musician has had their fair share of detractors. thats not a reflection of the music scene as a whole. NOT AT ALL.

sure, there were people who hated dmx, 50 and snoop but all 3 of them each had a 2-year run being the biggest artist in rap. and im not talking about no industry forcing them down our throats type chit like they do today. im talking about dudes genuinely running chit. and i personally disliked 50 cent thru the majority of his run, but it is what it is.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
and most of those same people that hated those artists, still hate them to this day. and theyll still most likely say that that era is the best or one of the best times for rap.

i dont see the point of bringing this up.

:what:

The point is that it's an example of what happens over time. You're right, they prob. do still remember the 90s as a great time, because of what they liked. And unless people who listened during the 2000s liked absolutely nothing, the same thing is gonna happen to that decade too. Over time, people tend to forget the shyt they didn't like and remember the shyt they did... and in some cases, like some stuff better in hindsight. But while it's goin' on, it's easier to be more critical if you're a nostalgic person- cause you'll be so busy longing for the old days, it's harder to enjoy what's happening at the moment. There's some people who talk like when Dec. 31, 1999 became Jan. 1, 2000, hip-hop all of a sudden dried up outta nowhere... but time is already softening that opinion. Suddenly, it's like 'ah, it just got wack after 2003'... then it'll be 'after 2005'... then it'll be 'after 2007'. It happens like that all the time. There was a time when some people acted like the cutoff point was the early-90s, so... years pass by, hindsight changes.

phatphuck

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
when i use the word classic, im referring to the certain genre defining albums

since hip hop is in a mature state right now (compared to the 80s 90s anyway), i tend to use the word classic sparingly

to me there's been plenty of solid albums (supreme clientele, 2001, etc) in the 00's compared to now. but still its had its fair share of watered down ish like ja rule and nelly, and its sad to see cats jocking them in a few threads in here:snoop:

its a demonic cycle friends

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn, lookin at this '03 was the last real good year of mainstream hip hop, only '06 since then that I can think of comes close.

Hip Hop is Dead
Food & Liquor
Fishscale
More fish
King
Release Therapy
4:21 The Day After
The Big Bang
The Blue Carpet Treatment
The Documentary
Kingdom Come(not as a whole album, but had some bangers)

And all those artist are from the 90's/early 2000's, except Lupe

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
:what:

The point is that it's an example of what happens over time. You're right, they prob. do still remember the 90s as a great time, because of what they liked. And unless people who listened during the 2000s liked absolutely nothing, the same thing is gonna happen to that decade too. Over time, people tend to forget the shyt they didn't like and remember the shyt they did... and in some cases, like some stuff better in hindsight. But while it's goin' on, it's easier to be more critical if you're a nostalgic person- cause you'll be so busy longing for the old days, it's harder to enjoy what's happening at the moment. There's some people who talk like when Dec. 31, 1999 became Jan. 1, 2000, hip-hop all of a sudden dried up outta nowhere... but time is already softening that opinion. Suddenly, it's like 'ah, it just got wack after 2003'... then it'll be 'after 2005'... then it'll be 'after 2007'. It happens like that all the time. There was a time when some people acted like the cutoff point was the early-90s, so... years pass by, hindsight changes.

everybody will always have the people that they love & hate. the bottom line is that the hot chit now is levels below the hot chit in better eras, and the wack rappers now are much worst than what was considered wack back then. the bar has been lowered to new lows. and you know this.

as for the second part, when did all this happen? 2003 has generally been considered the last memorable year for the longest. and 2006 has long been considered the last year that was worth a dam. this is nothing new.

sure theres people that complain about everything that will always say something is dead no matter what, but you gotta know how to keep the opinions of those types in their proper perspective.

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
there were plenty of classics in the early 2000s, but cotdamn if that aint over. Sorry, that's not nostalgia, that's the hard truth.