When you look back to hip hop is the 00's

Mandizi

5-I-3 till I D-I-E
Daps
Reppin
Cincy
argue that from 2000-2003/4 was the peak of popularity for hip-hop ever

THE EARLY 00'S had classics..hip hop was in a better space.. hip-hop dominated the charts and eerything pretty much these years and you can even
its not because thats when i was 15-20 there was just more quality music hip-hop being mADE in those years

and the artist at the top in those years were alot more talented then what we have today

the music was waaaaaaaaaaaay more diverse.. you had artist makin their own sound and not evERYONE hoppin on trends and soundin the same.. eeryone was succesful then so they didnt need to conform to make "industry songs"(thye were still made but the artist was bale to make it their own and make it original because they were still able to have input on the direction) they would sell regarldess

this meant the artist could do music THEY wanted to make.. so al

today artist have to conform to what the labels exec's want so theres no passion in their music because its all cookie cutter same shyt... (lupe) good example

examples:

stanonia
supreme clientele
like water for chocolate
restless
last meal
the W --
country grammar ('99 but i sold around 7mil in 2000 alone)
marshall mathers

^^^^ see every region is represented...........

blueprint
stillmatic
dirty money
im serious
till the end of time -pac
word of mouf

gods son
the ems show
the fix
lord willin
los tapes-nas
bp2
kings of crunk
better dayz-pac
8mile

speakerboxxx
the black album
GRODT
trap muzik
la bella mafia
the listening
attack of the clones
cheers
street dream
philadelhpia freeway
joe budden

College dropout
kiss of death
urban legend
crunk juice
strait outta cashville
kamikaze
The Carter
long hot summer
the hunger for more

^^^^^ compare the quALITY then to the quality now..... hip-hop use to run shyt

now its :flabbynsick:

Damn, lookin at this '03 was the last real good year of mainstream hip hop, only '06 since then that I can think of comes close.

Hip Hop is Dead
Food & Liquor
Fishscale
More fish
King
Release Therapy
4:21 The Day After
The Big Bang
The Blue Carpet Treatment
The Documentary
Kingdom Come(not as a whole album, but had some bangers)

Yoda

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hip Hop
Every year i feel hip hop drops something atleast 4.5 mic albums
People just too lazy to listen to em cuz its not mainstream enough
imo

bl2k8

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Northern California
Well look back at the early 2000's for dropping some dope shyt. The mids was the absolute worst time ever for hip hop. shyt is better now than it was in the mid 2000's.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
That houston boom was one of the worst things to happen in retrospect, but i think we all knew that shyt was corny. I actually liked paul wall mike jones for the comedic value, the beats was slappin too. Sometimes you just gotta take certain music for what it is.

Early 2000's was Weird. On one hand that pop bottles ERA had turned from humble bragging in the mid 90s to "hey look at what i got" Nelly was sent here to ruin Rap, you had underground heads getting their boom (DEFJUX) and then you had Nas vs Jay.

2000s was all about celebration because nikkas thought they were gonna die (Y2K) when they realized it was stupid to even consider that as a reality, the music genre in general turned from conscious rap getting some play to no play unless you were common, and common fukkin sucks. heavy music ceased to exist to paint of faux picture of being happy despite 9/11 happening also.

The music game is a controlled game brehs...be happy we're getting good music now.

Yoda

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hip Hop
That houston boom was one of the worst things to happen in retrospect, but i think we all knew that shyt was corny. I actually liked paul wall mike jones for the comedic value, the beats was slappin too. Sometimes you just gotta take certain music for what it is.

Early 2000's was Weird. On one hand that pop bottles ERA had turned from humble bragging in the mid 90s to "hey look at what i got" Nelly was sent here to ruin Rap, you had underground heads getting their boom (DEFJUX) and then you had Nas vs Jay.

2000s was all about celebration because nikkas thought they were gonna die (Y2K) when they realized it was stupid to even consider that as a reality, the music genre in general turned from conscious rap getting some play to no play unless you were common, and common fukkin sucks. heavy music ceased to exist to paint of faux picture of being happy despite 9/11 happening also.

The music game is a controlled game brehs...be happy we're getting good music now.

and like that :lolbron: neg

LucaBrasi

West Coast Legend
Daps
Reppin
California
The problem is music ain't facts, it's all opinions, whats classic to you might be trash to me.

I know n*gg*s that are trying to tell me Lil Wayne's first two Tha Carter albums are classics but I'm like :comeon:

Sure A LOT of Hip-Hop today is garbage, same thing like 10, 20 or even 30 years ago, there's trash and there's GOOD MUSIC no pun intended :myman:

And like somebody else said in this thread if you think Hip-Hop is dead then wtf are you doing here? :heh:

Jone2three45

Supporter
Daps
NY hate for everything not theirs was their downfall. The west coast made good music when it wasn't always gangster. It real easy money wise to put nikkas on from the south back in the late 90/2000 and they was smart about their bizz even tho they put out good music the also put out alot of garbage. The south has the longest running hip hop scene so it doesn't surprise me when NY rappers sound like them.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
are you guys going to be saying that they had classics in that era? because on the real i'm starting to see a lot of you giving props to that era like revisionist when all i can remember during that decade is "HIP HOP HAS GONE TO shyt, EVERYTHING AINT WHAT IT USED TO BE" type of talk and now im seeing even NELLY GETTING PROPS when dude was being seen as someone that ruined hip hop for the most part along with Ja Rule, so does music really grow on you with age or is this just a natural dikk riding process that goes on with generations to come?? :facepalm:

:childplease:

yes i gave nelly props because the way he came in the game and blew up is legendary. that was the purpose of the thread. i give credit where its due. i didnt say he was an all-time elite rapper or anything.

and nelly did indeed get props back in the day. he was never seen as one of the hottest out or anything but he got props for what he was worth as a dude that stayed putting out jams. jarule was kinda in that same boat. nobody is in here saying that they have classic albums or are all-time top 20 rappers or any chit like that.

and truth be told, the only people that went out of their way to hate on them dudes back in the day were either elitists or the no-pu**y getting types. in reality, you either listened to them or you didnt. they werent wack, nor were they ever apart of "whos the hottest out debates". you either liked them or you didnt. there was way too much going on back then to dwell on rappers that you didnt like unless they were flat-out wack. all the over-the-top hatin was internet chit.

this thread is basically based on taking people's comments way out of context and to the extreme.:smh: and wacky d cant bang with that.

JYoung24

Young J
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm 23 so I was in my teens in the 2000's I think the 2000's was trash the early 2000s was OK though nuttin is seeing the 90's though