When you look back to hip hop is the 00's

C-Styles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Windy City
are you guys going to be saying that they had classics in that era? because on the real i'm starting to see a lot of you giving props to that era like revisionist when all i can remember during that decade is "HIP HOP HAS GONE TO shyt, EVERYTHING AINT WHAT IT USED TO BE" type of talk and now im seeing even NELLY GETTING PROPS when dude was being seen as someone that ruined hip hop for the most part along with Ja Rule, so does music really grow on you with age or is this just a natural dikk riding process that goes on with generations to come?? :facepalm:

Scotch Hall

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#TSC and surgical shoes
It's kind of sad seeing man, n1ggas pooped all over rap in the 90s too. Saying death row was ruining the art-form anyone remember that? or am I the only one?

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
I'm 26..I grew up in the 90's and spent my teens in the early-mid 00's era. Everything wasn't good back then but it was alot better than this bullshyt they puttin out today.

Blueprint
Black Album
Stillmatic
Tha Realness
Mista Dont Play
Supreme Clientele
College Dropout
MMLP
TM101
Carter 1 and 2
Trap Musik
King
GRODT
Documentary
Diplomatic Immunity

Just off the top of my head those albums shyt on most of the bullshyt that's dropped in the last 5 years. I mean look at the album of the year thread for this year and really think to yourself WTF is goin on?

Look at the "leaders" of this generation: Drake,,Nicki,J Cole,Lil Sean,Wale,Tyga
:huhldup:

Compared to nikkas like:TI,Jeezy,Dipset,State Prop,50,Game,Non Homo Wayne etc...

Only a nikka born in the 90's would think this generation compares.

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
Of course there was classics in the 2000s. There was also a lot of bullshyt too, just like in any era of any genre. A lot of good music came out of the 2000s

Scotch Hall

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#TSC and surgical shoes
The thing homie is trying to say is that n1ggaz lettin nostalgia cloud their judgement. There is some cats that say every album dropped was classic, when it wasn't like that in every era.

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
The thing homie is trying to say is that n1ggaz lettin nostalgia cloud their judgement. There is some cats that say every album dropped was classic, when it wasn't like that in every era.

I agree with this. And this 'revisionist' history shyt gets thrown around a lot on here. Like people can't change their mind about an album or that people weren't caught up in the hype when something initially dropped. If you leave it up to some people they will act like a classic album dropped every single day in the 90's when the truth is now that the smoke has cleared we have sucessfully removed the trash from our minds and put the classics on a pedestal and bigged up the good shyt like we should.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
It's like this.

You dont make good observations on everything when in u in that moment.

I can listen to some pop music NOW from the late 90's and appreciate it as being good, whereas back then when I was a cocky teeanger, I thought it was corny. It's all mindset.

Same thing with rap. You appreciate some stuff differently as time goes by. And also, you see that some of it was not as bad as you thought it was in comparison to what you currently have.

Abstract83

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I'm 26..I grew up in the 90's and spent my teens in the early-mid 00's era. Everything wasn't good back then but it was alot better than this bullshyt they puttin out today.

Blueprint
Black Album
Stillmatic
Tha Realness
Mista Dont Play
Supreme Clientele
College Dropout
MMLP
TM101
Carter 1 and 2
Trap Musik
King
GRODT
Documentary
Diplomatic Immunity

Just off the top of my head those albums shyt on most of the bullshyt that's dropped in the last 5 years. I mean look at the album of the year thread for this year and really think to yourself WTF is goin on?

Look at the "leaders" of this generation: Drake,,Nicki,J Cole,Lil Sean,Wale,Tyga
:huhldup:

Compared to nikkas like:TI,Jeezy,Dipset,State Prop,50,Game,Non Homo Wayne etc...

Only a nikka born in the 90's would think this generation compares.
I cosign a good portion of these albums. Im 28 I did start gettin fully into rap until 97 98. Although nellys first album was good I dont give each classic status or nothin like that. But to say that era didnt have classics is rediculous. Its because the wack shyt back then is 20 times better than wats out now mainstream wise. Im not even gonna list the artists that was poppin back then. Just google 98-04 albums/mixtapes that dropped. And look at the decline from then to now. Just like nikkas sayin average or below average material thats droppin is some epic classic shyt. Not sayin it isnt good shyt comin out. Just sayin we had some many different artists doin their thing not dikk ridin too much for a feature. nikkas said names on diss records. R&B had a lane. Soul music was poppin. Collabs were epic. nikkas had clicks and crews and their own sound. shyt is just one sided in this era. It gotta be either trash or classic. If u dont like em yous a hater. Opinions are facts now.

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast

nostalgia definitely clouds judgement. theres so much talent in this generation its ridiculous. not focusing only on the mainstream rappers u got

fashawn
nipsey hussle
jay electronica
pac div
dom kennedy
boldy james
big krit
killa kyleon
gunplay
progressive era

and then mainstream guys
black hippy
tyga
wale
j cole
big sean
odd future

and theres even more than that. anyone who honestly believes hip hop is dead should just stop posting :aicmon:

C-Styles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Windy City
its like this, i remember being on sohh for the whole 00 decade and every thread was about how hip hop is dead and how everything was garbage, i hardly saw any props to albums after "Sohh experts" reviewed them, this was the routine on sohh: the album leaks and it's hailed as a "Classic" because of the freshness of it being new, then a month later after they let it sink in, it's hailed as garbage, and the poster child for that was every Nas Album, people would call the leaks of street disciple classic then a month later hailed as a "garbage" album... smh

Daps
Reppin
RENO, Nevada
argue that from 2000-2003/4 was the peak of popularity for hip-hop ever

THE EARLY 00'S had classics..hip hop was in a better space.. hip-hop dominated the charts and eerything pretty much these years and you can even
its not because thats when i was 15-20 there was just more quality music hip-hop being mADE in those years

and the artist at the top in those years were alot more talented then what we have today

the music was waaaaaaaaaaaay more diverse.. you had artist makin their own sound and not evERYONE hoppin on trends and soundin the same.. eeryone was succesful then so they didnt need to conform to make "industry songs"(thye were still made but the artist was bale to make it their own and make it original because they were still able to have input on the direction) they would sell regarldess

this meant the artist could do music THEY wanted to make.. so al

today artist have to conform to what the labels exec's want so theres no passion in their music because its all cookie cutter same shyt... (lupe) good example

examples:

stanonia
supreme clientele
like water for chocolate
restless
last meal
the W --
country grammar ('99 but i sold around 7mil in 2000 alone)
marshall mathers

^^^^ see every region is represented...........

blueprint
stillmatic
dirty money
im serious
till the end of time -pac
word of mouf

gods son
the ems show
the fix
lord willin
los tapes-nas
bp2
kings of crunk
better dayz-pac
8mile

speakerboxxx
the black album
GRODT
trap muzik
la bella mafia
the listening
attack of the clones
cheers
street dream
philadelhpia freeway
joe budden

College dropout
kiss of death
urban legend
crunk juice
strait outta cashville
kamikaze
The Carter
long hot summer
the hunger for more

^^^^^ compare the quALITY then to the quality now..... hip-hop use to run shyt

now its :flabbynsick:

C-Styles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Windy City
ROFL_Guy has the WORSE example of explaining the 00's... i'd say early 00's were garbage! and ill tell you this much, the same shyt happening with Drake, minaj, big sean, and ross, is the same praise they're going to be getting a decade later, MARK MY WORDS!

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
It's kind of sad seeing man, n1ggas pooped all over rap in the 90s too. Saying death row was ruining the art-form anyone remember that? or am I the only one?

its been like that since the beginning of rap...beginning it will fade out like disco..

eazy n luke nem got the ball...its killin the youth..politicians tried they damnest to ban it..

bling era...was a problem

southern take over snap music etc..the death of it..

rap fans n critics some bytches...n emotional..

me i dont give a fukk i jam whaever..riff raff to odb..to lil..b..a fukk is not even thought of..

its entertainment...i refuse to listen to eminem, busta n a couple other cats..kuz its my choice...