When you go back and watch Scarface and Carlito's Way, it really is like night and day with how Carlito's Way is the better movie

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Watched Carlito's Way back in March, and it's been a favorite since I saw it when I was 14,

Wrote some longer post a few months months back, but the stripped down version was that, as I am older, I see how badly Carlito fumbled toward the end, despite his knowledge, and being a stand up guy, on point in a lot of ways. He let it all happen. His ego tripped him up with Benny, his pride tripped him up with Klienfeld, his loyalty tripped him up with Pachanga.

I can see how Benny was harmless, all Carlito had to do was be mature and respectful, and he would have had a friend for life. Instead, his ego and some self hatred got the best of him. "This guy is you 20 years ago".

I had this convo with my homie the other day, three years ago my homie had a few million, he was on top, and lost it all. He still walks around with that ego like Carlito does. "back when I was on the man, these punks move a few ounces" that's how he talks lol but he doesn't have that life anymore.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I didn't think Scarface looked "low budget". It was grimy 80s shyt yeah but they had some nice locations.
It had that perception because so many of us saw it on shytty crt tvs, bad dvd rips, and television....a good quality scan or Scarface in 4K looks pretty fukkin great actually, especially the scene at Sosa's plantation

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Scarface has some gorgeous set pieces and locations, it's a huge budget for it's time.

The scene on the water, "and I got the yayo" that's a beautiful shot of Miami at dusk

Shot on location off Ocean Boulevard, the Caryle scenes

The mansion in Biscayne or wherever when he visits Elvira

The scene with the blimp

It's not a bad movie, Pacino hams it up a few times, but it's only 40 years later people say it's a bad movie. The acting is all first rate. Parts drift into telenovela soap, but that's partly De Palma playing it broad, and partly the source material was like a 1935 gangster movie.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Scarface has some gorgeous set pieces and locations, it's a huge budget for it's time.

The scene on the water, "and I got the yayo" that's a beautiful shot of Miami at dusk

Shot on location off Ocean Boulevard, the Caryle scenes

The mansion in Biscayne or wherever when he visits Elvira

The scene with the blimp

It's not a bad movie, Pacino hams it up a few times, but it's only 40 years later people say it's a bad movie. The acting is all first rate. Parts drift into telenovela soap, but that's partly De Palma playing it broad, and partly the source material was like a 1935 gangster movie.

when the movie was released, it was heavily panned.

it gain a cult following when hip hop adopted it