When you go back and watch Scarface and Carlito's Way, it really is like night and day with how Carlito's Way is the better movie

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Scarface is more popular and iconic but I definitely agree that Carlito’s Way was a better film.

The part where Carlito has the chase scene in the train station is more entertaining than any scene in Scarface :ld:

The chase at the train station and the pool scene when he gets out are brilliant scenes.

I also like the prison escape attempt in the boat. Sean Penn was terrific in that role.

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
You have to take in consideration the time and era

Scarface was 80's excess, and De Palma's height as a bad boy of cinema or whatever, he was coming of Dressed To Kill, right? And Did Body Double right after. He was chasing those highs of violence, sex, in a word, excess. It was the 80's. The themes are greed, violence, capitalism, it's a swing for the fences movie. It's big, ugly, larger than life in every moment.

A little off-topic but I want to recommend De Palma’s ‘Blow Out’, which was done a couple years before Scarface.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
Recently watched both these films back to back cause i've been going back and watching some of De Palma's films again

Scarface was like a b movie with unintentional comedy :mjlol:

only thing i'll give Scarface props for is the dialogue/screenplay Oliver Stone wrote for it, he was a great screenwriter in his heyday.

but Scarface reminds me of one those low budget ass movies you'd see back in the 90's on a Saturday on a non cable channel and you'd watch out of boredom

Carlito's Way takes a huge shyt on Scarface in every way.

De Palma and Pachino got it right with Carlito's Way; the screenplay (screenwriter Koepp), the acting, the setting and even the humor was on point.
I don't think anyone actually thought Scarface was a great film. Its like the white version of Belly or State Property

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
Cool :ehh:

however i realize it may not be a popular opinion since Scarface is the more popular film among a lot of people.
03db241e21296066385b445001280f39.jpg

thats because its WAY more entertaining

nobody watches scarface for the story or the morality lesson... we watch it again and again and again for tonys fukkery!

i swear i can recite 80% of that movie from memory

yeah carlitos way is a great film but id take scarface over it any day

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
A little off-topic but I want to recommend De Palma’s ‘Blow Out’, which was done a couple years before Scarface.

Being a De Palma fan, I should have seen that years ago, but just watched about a month ago, on HBO Max. Loved it.

Love De Palma's psychosexual thriller phase, Dressed to Kill, Blow Out, Body Double, I like Body Double the best, maybe.

I have seen Obsession, but it's a little ludicrous, even for Del Palma