When you go back and watch Scarface and Carlito's Way, it really is like night and day with how Carlito's Way is the better movie

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Recently watched both these films back to back cause i've been going back and watching some of De Palma's films again

Scarface was like a b movie with unintentional comedy :mjlol:

only thing i'll give Scarface props for is the dialogue/screenplay Oliver Stone wrote for it, he was a great screenwriter in his heyday.

but Scarface reminds me of one those low budget ass movies you'd see back in the 90's on a Saturday on a non cable channel and you'd watch out of boredom

Carlito's Way takes a huge shyt on Scarface in every way.

De Palma and Pachino got it right with Carlito's Way; the screenplay (screenwriter Koepp), the acting, the setting and even the humor was on point.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Both movies have that slick, 80s De Palma style but I agree Carlito's Way is a better movie. Carlito also a more interesting character to me.

The scene where his nephew gets murked....damn man, I remember seeing that for the first time with my uncle and he said "you don't want to die because you weren't paying attention in a situation you didn't understand."

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Both movies have that slick, 80s De Palma style but I agree Carlito's Way is a better movie. Carlito also a more interesting character to me.

The scene where his nephew gets murked....damn man, I remember seeing that for the first time with my uncle and he said "you don't want to die because you weren't paying attention in a situation you didn't understand."

Yup

that's the other significant factor, the characters in Carlito's Way have more depth whereas in Scarface some of these characters seem more like props.

yeah, that's such a dark and tragic scene. :mjcry:

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Recently watched both these films back to back cause i've been going back and watching some of De Palma's films again

Scarface was like a b movie with unintentional comedy :mjlol:

only thing i'll give Scarface props for is the dialogue/screenplay Oliver Stone wrote for it, he was a great screenwriter in his heyday.

but Scarface reminds me of one those low budget ass movies you'd see back in the 90's on a Saturday on a non cable channel and you'd watch out of boredom

Carlito's Way takes a huge shyt on Scarface in every way.

De Palma and Pachino got it right with Carlito's Way; the screenplay (screenwriter Koepp), the acting, the setting and even the humor was on point.
This isn't a controversial or debatable take.

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
Caritos way and Donnie brasco are better... maybe Pacino's over the top performace is what makes Scarface more "iconic". Its like Gary oldman in Leon and Denzel in that last scene in Training day. Huge pacino fan ... huge gangster movie fan... idk if i watched scarface twice

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
Best part of Scarface was after manola died :pachaha: which was damn near the end. The rest 2.5 hours of zzzz

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
You have to take in consideration the time and era

Scarface was 80's excess, and De Palma's height as a bad boy of cinema or whatever, he was coming of Dressed To Kill, right? And Did Body Double right after. He was chasing those highs of violence, sex, in a word, excess. It was the 80's. The themes are greed, violence, capitalism, it's a swing for the fences movie. It's big, ugly, larger than life in every moment.

by 1993, he had calmed way down. The production aesthetic was entirely different, the themes expressed, his next movie, I think would be Mission Impossible in 1996. Carlitos Way is restrained, the themes are regret, the importance or non importance of man's values, how to be moral in an immoral world, relationships, it's not concerned with capitalism, or greed, in a sense, it concerned with greed, as a negative, as the Kleinfeld character. The lead is a moral person, he is shown that way intentionally, whereas Scarface, De Palma's protagonist is considered by most standards deeply immoral, yet beloved.

wrote some other shyt about Carlitos Way in a thread, that and Scarface are two of my favorites all time.

Last edited: