When did Lexus (and to a lesser extent, Acura) fall out of favor with Hip Hop?

Daps
Reppin
Chi
Lexus and Ac Viggors were staples of Hip Hop until about....98/99? Biggie was still rapping bout Lex's on LAD, Pun had the Packin-a-mack-in-da-back-of-da-Ac skit in 98...but it's like one day brehs woke up and realized that these are made by Toyota and Honda and dropped them out the lexicon completely.

I'm trying to remember Hov having any Lex name drops on Vol. 2 and beyond, but I think that was kinda the start of it, then Cash Money w/ the Bling Era and it was a wrap...everything moved to bentleys and Rolls etc.

(I do remember a line or too on 400 Degreez about ES300s)

Kinda the same how everyone stopped rocked gold in ~98 for platinum and that lasted a long time too.

These brands still get referenced but more in the "back in the day I pushed a Lex..." type of way, not in the "we made it, just copped the lex off the floor" type way

Last edited:

O.G.B

Real O.G.
Bushed
Daps
Lexus and Ac Viggors were staples of Hip Hop until about....98/99? Biggie was still rapping bout Lex's on LAD, Pun had the Packin-a-mack-in-da-back-of-da-Ac skit in 98...but it's like one day brehs woke up and realized that these are made by Toyota and Honda and dropped them out the lexicon completely.

I'm trying to remember Hov having any Lex name drops on Vol. 2 and beyond, but I think that was kinda the start of it, then Cash Money w/ the Bling Era and it was a wrap...everything moved to bentleys and Rolls etc.

(I do remember a line or too on 400 Degreez about ES300s)

Kinda the same how everyone stopped rocked gold in ~98 for platinum and that lasted a long time too.

These brands still get referenced but more in the "back in the day I pushed a Lex..." type of way, not in the "we made it, just copped the lex off the floor" type way

"And Smooth in that Lexus coupe, peace to Salt N Pepa cause you make me wanna Shoop"

O.G.B

Real O.G.
Bushed
Daps
This is a good answer, even though they've always been that - Acura specifically lost their way design wise. Lexus embraced the stealth wealth identity and became less brag worthy.

This is partly correct, as Lexus primary lineup of vehicles were mostly RWD oriented until the early 2000s when Lexus began transitioning from primarily RWD models to FWD models.