When did Gamespot turn into such HARSH reviewers?

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
I know a below 5 game when I see one and Gotham Knights ain’t it

Bland, boring, unimaginative? Okay 6/10 at worst but it’s not a 4

That’s a clout chase type of review designed to get more clicks (bombing a game worse than it deserves)
Nah it legitimately looks terrible. 5/10 is something that people who really really enjoy the world/universe could probably drudge through. I see no redeeming value in that game though

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
if a game doesn't do anything to push the envelope but is a competently made game then it's a 6/10. at worst that's what Gotham Knights is to me

-Graphically it's far above average while incorporating all the fancy new tech like ray-tracing (and shyts on critical darlings like Elden Ring)

-Combat looks serviceable at worst. I simply don't buy into the fact this game has "bad combat"; it's far more likely to me that some of these reviewers are just trying to button-mash their way through and are trash at the game

does this look like "terrible combat" to you?

I mean it's not DMC5 or anything, but I'd say it's competently made

-Story looks okay. again, like with the graphics, there's some effort here put into the cutscenes. it's not like they put in a bunch of motion comic stills, threw some voice acting over it and called it a day.

-The gameplay loop being too grindy? okay that's a a legitimate criticism, I guess

either way I fail to see how this is a 4/10 below average game when it's far more ambitious than your average videogame. I've noticed reviewers tend to be extra harsh on big-budget AAA games, while some trash looking low-budget JRPG gets a pass for garbo story and bland, uninspired gameplay :mjpls:

Lol bro that looks like shyt. That looks like combat from a 2008 game

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Looking at the reviews for this game, it’s likely a 6/10 game AT BEST. Most reviews are on the lower and and the one outlier is skewing the average because some reviewer was smoking crack and said it was up there with Elden Ring as GoTY contentder :mjlol:

-In my opinion a 7/10 game is something like The Ascent or Outriders where the core gameplay loop is genuinely fun, but the game lacks the personality or extra features that make you really feel like it’s a next-level game worth stanning or going out your way to recommend to others. It’s still a quality game though

-A 6 would be something like Skater XL, where the core gameplay is there, but is missing content/features and has enough flaws to the point that really only a niche audience will appreciate the game, and most other people would look at it as mid or not worth purchasing

-A 5 is something that has potential, but has a ton of bugs or just straight up design flaws that hold it back in a major way. There’s potential that maybe a huge update down the line might save it, but that’s usually not the case as those kind of games are typically lower budget and DoA at that point

-4 and below means that there’s just too many flaws to overlook and is generally not worth playing. No point in even trying to articulate the nuance between a 3/10 game and a 4/10 game. It’s a bad product :manny:

IMO if you’re a busy adult you shouldn’t waste your time playing anything under a 6 unless you have some longstanding loyalty to the IP or devs, and even then I might think you’re trippin :hubie:

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
when did they become such harsh reviewers (almost to the point of contrarianism)?

They’ve been flopping big AAA games for a while now and consistently lowball any game that isn’t Mario, Zelda or Fromsoft

like is Gotham Knights really a 4/10 type of game? that type of score should be reserved for a game that’s non functional or barely playable. Reviewers scoring a game like this below average is just sum clickbait bullshyt
No, this is a 0/10 or 1/10.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
4/10 should be reserved for a game that's non-functional :dwillhuh:

How does a "Bland, boring, unimaginative" game get a 6(AT WORST:skip:) which means above average

so if a 4 is supposed to be reserved for UNPLAYABLE games, what the hell do you have to do to get a 1? :what:

Nonfunctional gets a 4 that's hilarious:russ:

A game that doesn't work gets a 4 im dead:deadrose:
This dude is retarded breh :laff:

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Bland, boring, unimaginative? Okay 6/10 at worst but it’s not a 4
6/10 is above average

A boring video game is not above average

Bland, boring, unimaginative - That's the new Saints Row, which is a 3/10, IMO...just go and play the remaster of Saints Row 3. It's a waste of time to play.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Gamespot always been pretty strict with their reviews. U can check their reviews back in the day on shyt like Silent Hill for PS1 and that shyt got like a 7.8 or 7.9. Back then that meant the game was great tho.