When did funerals start to have receptions?

MBwithadream

All Star
Bushed
Daps
:lawd: some of the best food I ate was from a funeral.

You see people you ain't seen since your parent's friends fell out

Get a good sermon without paying :troll:

It's better than some parties I go to.

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Man, I remember as a little kid, we used to go to funerals and go right back home. But somewhere along the way, I think like the last 6 or 7, there's been some kind of fancy reception with lots of plates of food and all that.

Why? I always felt weird watching that casket getting buried and then going in the car to :eat: like it's all good. I know it's not good to be driving with tears in your eyes, but I think this goes way too far in the other direction. What do y'all think?

You must not be black.

ThumpDaddy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, AL
Every funeral that I have been to has had food or something served either back at the church or back at the family's house. I always thought it was part of the funeral.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
:lawd: some of the best food I ate was from a funeral.

You see people you ain't seen since your parent's friends fell out

Get a good sermon without paying :troll:

It's better than some parties I go to.

yep..

i went to an old school black mason's funeral...it was worth the wait..them hoes long than a bytch...u have their main service..then they have a mason service...

the women of the eastern star thats married to alot of the older masons that was in attendance..

must have a 300yr old fried chicken recipe kuz i aint never tasted chicken like that...best fried chicken i have ever eatin that wasnt chain bought...

illadope

きんが
Daps
Yall makin me anticipate going to another funeral this year. I already been to 9 =(

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
Man, I remember as a little kid, we used to go to funerals and go right back home. But somewhere along the way, I think like the last 6 or 7, there's been some kind of fancy reception with lots of plates of food and all that.

Why? I always felt weird watching that casket getting buried and then going in the car to :eat: like it's all good. I know it's not good to be driving with tears in your eyes, but I think this goes way too far in the other direction. What do y'all think?

:what: it don't feel weird for you to go to somebody's funeral and then just dip out on they loved ones like that afterward??? next to gettin the news, thats the time the need support the most.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
when I was a kid, I don't remember my uncle having a reception when he died :sadbron:

Yo uncle was probably a low life heathen and nobody wanted to bring food. Or maybe he wasnt your uncle and your mother wasnt invited:sadcam:

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
Every funeral that I have been to has had food or something served either back at the church or back at the family's house. I always thought it was part of the funeral.

Word, especially down south. Everytime we came down here for a funeral, it was expected that you was gonna :eat: afterwards. I remember when my aunt died, everybody was bringing food by the house... Chicken for days... By the time the funeral was over and we was back at the house for the repast, I don't think I could look at another chicken breast. My cousin was like "yo, let's go into town and go to Hardee's and get a burger" I was like :myman: and we dipped out. We was leaving that night back for NY, so we had enough chicken to make sandwiches and stuff with. LOL my sister's car smelled like chicken for weeks after that.

ThumpDaddy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, AL
Word, especially down south. Everytime we came down here for a funeral, it was expected that you was gonna :eat: afterwards. I remember when my aunt died, everybody was bringing food by the house... Chicken for days... By the time the funeral was over and we was back at the house for the repast, I don't think I could look at another chicken breast. My cousin was like "yo, let's go into town and go to Hardee's and get a burger" I was like :myman: and we dipped out. We was leaving that night back for NY, so we had enough chicken to make sandwiches and stuff with. LOL my sister's car smelled like chicken for weeks after that.
Yep, that's pretty much regular down here. Like I said, I thought that it was like that everywhere.

pbconnect

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
GTA
when I die I'm gonna demand beforehand that my funeral has a reception with all you can eat food, open bar, and a good deejay.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
when I die I'm gonna demand beforehand that my funeral has a reception with all you can eat food, open bar, and a good deejay.

shyt it was a clucker...he was ballin like a muhfukka when i was lil nikka...exotic everthing..

once i got to middle school..dude was a wet,crack u name it head....but be4 he would drop me n my lil potnas 30 dollars everytime we seen em...a piece...

when he became a clucker...alot of the nikkas who he useta break bread to when he had it..felt bad...so when we see em..we chunk em somethin..get em some food...etc..make sure he in a shelter or somethin whenever the weather...is bad..

nikka died...like a couple yrs ago..

one of my potnas seen everything when he died..we didnt know if he had family or nuthin..so put patched up..n was gone do a lil memorial for the nikka...cremate em ..head to galveston dump the ashes..kuz thats all he useta talk about...

right be4 we set everything up n put his lil obituary in the paper...nikka had all kinds of family...

all them nikkas was in money...they cancelled out the lil shyt we was gone do...n made that shyt a factor...

marble red casket...nikka was draped in some of steve harvey linens mauri gators...we ended up burying him in jackson mississippi...

had his service...drove to galveston...did his final ride...from the place he wanted to go..to back home in mississippi

everything u jus mention ui wanted...that nikka otis family did everything times too..

we didnt know he had family either..