When and Why did you start working out?

ineedsleep212

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
First started in like my junior year of high school. I don't even know what prompted me to start, but it helped that my friend was going to that gym too and these :datazz: chicks from school were going there. Never felt better about myself physically and mentally while going to that gym. Then college started and after a certain age, you have to pay a lot more so I stopped going plus my college wasn't near that gym. Felt like I got :flabbynsick: in college (work, school and i guess a little bit of depression led to that) and realized that during my junior year of college. Kinda felt ashamed at the way I looked even though I wasn't in such terrible shape for me to feel that way. Finishing college and will be done this summer so I decided I gotta start going again for my mental and physical health. No excuse to not go when I'm no longer preoccupied with school.

idonttouchgrass

Superstar
Daps
i started for 2 reasons, basketball and insecurity.

before i started lifting, i was 127lbs at 5’10.5 which made me easy to push around on defense (still so;im at 163lbs). 2nd reason is because at that weight, not only was i smaller than the vast majority of males, i was smaller than most females :mjlol:
through working out, i realized “no shyt everyone is bigger than me” they’re all :flabbynsick:
:Mjhold:

ill_will82

What you see, is what you get
Daps
I actually started working out around my mid to late 20s. I got a set of 10lbs weights to start out with. I used to exercise for an hour but really felt no change and got tired of it after a couple of yrs and stopped.

Some years later I remember it was the beginning of summer and I put on some weight and couldn't wear my shorts from the year before. At this point I was going into my mid 30s. Also, I have a disability which affects my legs so I can't afford to get out shape. So I said I'm getting older and I have to take care of my health.

Heafcliffe

Hope there's puddin' in the clink...
Daps
Reppin
Districto de Columbia
Started lightly in HS....

Was tired of many things:
- being weak
- having terrible stamina
- not being durable and powerful on the bb court
- at the time, being overlooked by females
- not fitting clothes properly
- having low self-esteem
- not having a personal strength "achievement" if that makes sense (for example, when I first benched two 45 lbs plates, the feeling was :whoo:)

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Mom dukes got me set when I was 15. I was just doing men’s health magazine workouts. I always like exercising. Family used to ride bikes together and go on walks. Would do calisthenics for fun with my friends in the neighborhood. I think that early foundation of family fitness really stuck with me. I have my own family doing the same now.

Bless't

Living the dream
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I played sports growing up. Started lifting when I was about 14.