When and Why did you start working out?

wise prophet

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wanted to get my body right :manny:

Before I wanted the 6 pack abs and decent muscles and tried out Insanity and later P90X since I couldn't afford a gym membership. Then I started reading around and seeing that weightlifting would help more. Rarely weightlifted back in high school/college but I figured it couldn't hurt. Got some money, got a cheap membership, did Starting Strength and now I love to lift.

Now I'm mostly working out to see how strong and fast I can get with aesthetics being a welcome bonus. :stylin:

malc

WSGT$
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
well the first time I lifted was Freshman year for basketball. I went hard as hell on legs and deadlifts but everything else I just was so bad at. Saw little to no gains at all on anything that wasn't my legs really for nearly 2 years I ended up getting a gym membership after I tore two ligaments in my ankle since I couldn't play HS basketball that season, and I started going pretty frequently, lost some weight I put on when I couldn't do a damn thing for 2 months. But really, at the end of last summer I started going every day and I saw awesome gains, right now I'm cutting but I'm going to start bulking soon.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
freshman year of college. i was in weight training in HS but i never lifted cuz i read lifting could stunt your growth and i was still holding out on that (it never came :sadcam: ) So freshman year I aint have shyt else to do and was tired of lookin scrawny so i hit up the rec center and havent looked back in 4 years. its real deal one of my fav things to do.

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
When I was a kid I wanted to be the Incredible Hulk combined with watching wrestling. Tony Atlas and the Road Warriors had me geeked.

vidyagamer

Rookie
Daps
In 2009 I started cardio-ish. I wanted the boy I loved at the time to like me.

:pacspit: Backfired like a mahfukka, and somehow ended up with me in an eating disorder. :scusthov: :snoop:

Since then I had always been slightly interested in lifting, but I was intimidated as fukk, and had NO idea where to start.

The beginning of this year, a boy I was seeing was really into lifting. He knew I was into running/biking so when I mentioned that I was interested, and he was like "You wanna work out together sometime?".

He ended up taking me through basic lifts/form etc, and the love affair began. :lawd: The bonus is it pretty much forced me to recover from the ED, because you just cannot lift on 300+/- calories a day.

:yeshrug:

I'm hooked for life now brehs. FO LIFE!

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

I'm hooked for life now brehs. FO LIFE!

wait til you start breaking some of your long term goals. It's a very nice high, that last very briefly. :sadbron:

The worst part is when I don't feel unmotivated about working out after I achieve a goal.

Happens to me all the time.....

I think this is why, people are able to lose weight, reach a certain size. Then a few months later they bloat worse than before...

*goes back to the lab*

Daps
Reppin
thetown to global
Started doing those push up/situp for 48402482304 reps throughout the day thing at 8th grade cuz I was skinny but always got into fights lol. Ran track and played some rugby in junior high, started doing some noob weightlifting when I did some kickboxing in 11-12th grade. You know ... the shyt every amateur does, bench + curls :laugh:

Broke my hand nearly two years (after 12th grade) ago due to anger problems, became ridiculously scrawny and right hand became weaker than ever. Started lifting seriously once I got the green light from the doctor, doing different things to figure out what works and what doesn't. Been lifting seriously for about a year now. When I just started after my hand healed I couldn't even get a good grip on a 25lbs dumbell. So in that regard I did well so far I think.

It is mostly a mental thing for me, it is relaxing. Plus I enjoy the strength gains and such. Aesthetics never been a top priority for me while lifting tho, I always had abs but I am not super cut up or anything, I pretty much been at 10%-12% bodyfat throughout the last year. Never counted calories or anything. Might start working on that tho :cool:

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
When I moved on my own I was eating a lot of fast food and snack so I became :flabbynsick: so I had to get myself back up,im not looking to be super brolic but just in shape

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
It is mostly a mental thing for me, it is relaxing. Plus I enjoy the strength gains and such. Aesthetics never been a top priority for me while lifting tho, I always had abs but I am not super cut up or anything, I pretty much been at 10%-12% bodyfat throughout the last year. Never counted calories or anything. Might start working on that tho :cool:

heh same way. Get your weight up about 15-20lbs (sounds harder than it is) at 170 ish and watch how many more females throw themselves at you.

Not saying you don't a grip of them now, but that crap about being lean and cut up is b/s to a certain extinct. I noticed various times that the bigger I get (bulky) the more females throw themselves at me(crabs in a barrel mentality) . It's like an instant chain reaction, but then again, I doubt I reach more than 13-14% body fat during a bulk if that. :manny:

Your lifting number will also go up too.....

jab343irk

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I play soccer a lot for fun.

I had no upper body strength which means anyone can push you off the ball easily.

I started in 2009...I aim to look lean and muscular not that buff look.

El Guapo

Superstar
Daps
I was always a skinny kid growing up, but as I got older and started working in an office for the past few years just sitting down in front of computer, I was becoming skinny with a gut which was starting to get noticeable especially when my Aunt came for a visit January 2011 and basically said that my younger cousin was getting a little fat just like me. My aunt is fat, and when fat people are calling you fat, then you know you're getting fat. And that's something I wasn't going to accept anymore.

I started off doing some P90X and I'll never diss those infomercial exercise programs because they can give you that start on discovering this world of health and fitness. I dropped 20 lbs and started gaining some muscle and am always trying to be more physically active. I joined a dragon boat team, ran a 10K (struggled mightily, but did it) and even joined a gym (it's the one at work which is alright, but I've never joined one before). I only wish I started working out back in my younger years, but still I've never felt physically better in my life.

DerrtySouthpaw

Gawdisbyke
Daps
Reppin
404 to 205
being short and skinny in high school and wanting to play football. my high school had its own tv show on mtv they dont play scrub nikkas