When and Why did you start working out?

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
What was it that finally pushed you to lifting? High school sports? out of shape?

share your beginnings here

For myself, in 2004 i was a frail 5'8" 110 lbs with no kind of muscle mass and I was tired of it

I joined a golds gym in HS and started "newbie" lifting with the help of a trainer for about a year before discovering my schools wrestling team

If i had started a barbell/free weight routine then instead of the largely machine intensive routine the trainer put me on well, shyt i might look more like spliff/kooked now at this point :to: even still I built from 110 => ~130 lean over about a year and maintained that until going to college

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I use to lift weights before but nothing serious until last year. I was 6 foot, 165 lbs and was ok with that. Then I signed up for a gym membership and step on the court to play some ball. I was getting pushed around by guys who were 5'4. That was enough to get me to hit the weights hard.

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
damn, so where are you now? how did lifting translate to the court

the SOHH ICEY OG ZILLAMANE went from skinny to swole on the court and it made a difference in his ability to box out etc(he 6'6")

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Right now I'm at 195. Trying to get to 205 then cut. It definitely helped out on the court. Basically made me unstoppable when it came to the post up game.

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps
i did the minimum amount of forced lifting that was pushed on us in high school by coaches (hockey and lax). never really enjoyed it then. that was like '94-'98. back then i was 6'0" but barely 160lbs so i was probably discouraged by never being able to move much weight.

got to college and wasn't really playing sports any more. played some pick up ball and intramural hockey but that was very rare, like only once or twice a week. so i decided to try and get into lifting seriously. a frat brother of mine got me into a very brotastic lifting routine (chest, back, arms, shoulders, no legs). i dabbled w that throughout college but between the eating, drinking and lifting finally started to put on some size.

in 2002 i moved into the city after college. i kept a pretty decent routine going. it also helped that i was single and staying in shape meant more p*ssy. the ironic thing is i got engaged in 2007 and that's pretty much when i gave up on the gym. by the time my wedding came around in 2008 i was 217lbs :to:. by far and away the fattest/worst shape i've ever been in.

after i got back from my honeymoon one of my boys had a mini intervention w me and got me back into the gym. 2009 on i've been pretty serious about it.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
I wrote this a while back:
I started working out after a series of chicks used to call me skinny in the 11th grade....At first I ignored it but eventually it began to drop my self-esteem...I mean I was still able pull some pretty fine chicks with no problem....But I always used to wonder... if working out would help benefit me to pull more chicks....Truth betold it did...It just gain me an extra boost of confidence in myself......:thumbsup:

funny how your outlook on life changes.....

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
its funny after losing weight my friends think im a nicer guy :lolbron: i treat fast food workers better

im kinder to people in general

i guess when you fat you just salty about life

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dad worked out all the time as a kid and would take me to the gym with him. Didn't start lifting heavy till I was 10 or 11 when he gave me a dumbbell

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
i seriously starting working out when i was 16-17 in the summer of 99..i wanted to lose the baby fat i had...back then it was strictly running and calisthenics and light weights..lost a shytload of weight..when i went into college i had access to a gym for the first time 24/7..and i put on crazy size..on average i was around 240-245 my first 3 years in college..i looked big, sometimes bloated, and i was strong but i didn't have cuts or anything..but i wasn't doing any cardio back then....the summer after my junior year in college in 2003 i wasn't working out so instead of me naturally losing size from not working out i gained more weight...my pops called me out on it one day and shamed me....but then shortly after i got a internship to a big fortune 500 company that had a gym on site...that was all the motivation i needed..ever since then i've never been out of shape again

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
I started working out August 2010. I was around 160lbs. and 6'1''. My sister would joke I should get my weight up whenever I would ask her to put me on to her cute friends. :pachaha: My clothes were big and I had a broad shoulders so I just looked pathetic. My confidence was low and I felt weak. Especially having to play in the paint as the "big man". My homeboy is into working out and is always talking about training someone, but how people always flake out the first week. I made a $100 bet with him that I would not quit. He quit working with me in January and I felt I could do it on my own. :myman:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
U nikkas think my gains are weak now.... man u shoulda seen me in high school

I was a bag of bones

Freshman year of college they had a real nasty moldy dungeon type gym in the basement of one of the buildings.... I started upper body stuff and started seeing response right away... in AND out of the gym :shaq:

School got more intense so I fell off, didn't lift for like damn near 3-4 years. Got into a bike accident in '08 I think, couldn't do anything athletic for a year while I recovered and I got out of shape. Started lifting in April '09 and been at it ever since.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
I started 10 years ago, I thought it would make me a better athlete considering I could already dunk even though I had never worked out my legs. And my best friend at the time was a beast, 5"8 205lbs, benched 375lbs in HS and ran a 4.45, he helped me get started and I just kept at it.

In the last year though I decided to drop down from around 235-240lbs to 220ish.