When and how were lineups invented?

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
before steve harvey most people thought this was a decent haircut. doing more than this was only for people who were famous entertainers.

a regular barber wasn't hooking you up like kid and play back in the 80s. ( i remember specifically asking for that and my mom being like :gucci: hell no, but i was really young) plus not everybody getting their hair cut by a 20 year old shirtless barber either like dude above said. Most of our barbers was some old nikkas in his 50s and 60s.
It wasn't until old head barbers starting noticing steve harvey during his kings of comedy run. His hairline looked particularly crisp that even regular brehs started recognizing that they needed to step their game up.
later we found out it was actually fake. but before that people got away with just clean hairlines. After they needed to be laser sharp.
Absolutely not, there were young barbers around since "barber school" was a thing. People outside of the NYC area were getting "edge ups" in the LATE 80S EARLY 90S, on the regular. They were not just for entertainers. Nor were designs.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
:mjlol:facts.. Steve was crisp as shyt

i cant remember who said it, but there was a bar from a song i used to bump that went....i got the new taper with the steve harvey edge up...

edit: googling the lyric and found a think piece on it :mjlol:
How Steve Harvey Ruined My Hairline | NaturallyCurly.com

"
Enter The Steve Harvey Show in 1996.
Mr. Harvey defined his brand with tailored suits and the straightest edge up man has ever known:
This changed what customers expected of their barbers. No longer was it good enough to have a well groomed natural hairline, customers wanted perfection. Or what they thought was perfection, as Steve Harvey himself, once upon a time kept a natural hairline (though you would have to dig deep in the archives to find that photo).
thank you, this is exactly how it went.

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
:mjlol:facts.. Steve was crisp as shyt

i cant remember who said it, but there was a bar from a song i used to bump that went....i got the new taper with the steve harvey edge up...

edit: googling the lyric and found a think piece on it :mjlol:
How Steve Harvey Ruined My Hairline | NaturallyCurly.com

"
Enter The Steve Harvey Show in 1996.
Mr. Harvey defined his brand with tailored suits and the straightest edge up man has ever known:
This changed what customers expected of their barbers. No longer was it good enough to have a well groomed natural hairline, customers wanted perfection. Or what they thought was perfection, as Steve Harvey himself, once upon a time kept a natural hairline (though you would have to dig deep in the archives to find that photo).

I Had A Friend , Dominican Cat, Who Was Obsessed With Steve Harvey’s Hairline Like You Wouldn’t Believe lol God Forbid Steve Harvey Pop Up On TV He’ll Like “LOOK AT HIS shyt!! :ooh:Pointing And shyt

Like He Just Saw A Broad With A Phatty

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
Probably the same why ever great new thing starts, a bruh needed a way to separate himself from the pack to stand out, and get some p*ssy:russ:
This is so spot on that it's funny:pachaha:.

Men usually make great discoveries in order to have their name in the history books (separating themselves / trying to be unique), or to get bytches:dead:.

sfgiants

BANNED
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So it really was just an 80s NY thing that blew up?

man this topic has zero info on it and I feel like itd make a dope lil documentary

lol it would, like documenting the transition between having a hairline that zig zagged back and forth like the Great Wall of China to some laser guided geometric shyt like Jalen rose

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Like how did the transition from dudes rockin their natural hairline to getting crisp shapeups happen?
Either the NOI or dudes coming home from the military is what caused the shift.

I disagree with the takes in this thread about Steve Harvey. Perhaps in other parts of the country that's what did it, but if you look at early 1980s vintage NY pictures, you will see dudes with beehives cleanly shaped up.

*beehive was 360 waves,connecting all the way around

Breland-cover1987_RING.jpg

Last edited: