When and how were lineups invented?

Daps
Like how did the transition from dudes rockin their natural hairline to getting crisp shapeups happen?

Daps
80s....hip hop culture...funky hair cuts

kid-n-play-2-hype-video-shoot-al-pereira.jpg

GettyImages-74302338.jpg

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
before steve harvey most people thought this was a decent haircut. doing more than this was only for people who were famous entertainers.

a regular barber wasn't hooking you up like kid and play back in the 80s. ( i remember specifically asking for that and my mom being like :gucci: hell no, but i was really young) plus not everybody getting their hair cut by a 20 year old shirtless barber either like dude above said. Most of our barbers was some old nikkas in his 50s and 60s.
It wasn't until old head barbers starting noticing steve harvey during his kings of comedy run. His hairline looked particularly crisp that even regular brehs started recognizing that they needed to step their game up.
later we found out it was actually fake. but before that people got away with just clean hairlines. After they needed to be laser sharp.

Thurgood Thurston III

#LLNB #LLLB #E4R | woooK nypdK
Daps
Reppin
The kirk to the fields
before steve harvey most people thought this was a decent haircut. doing more than this was only for people who were famous entertainers.

a regular barber wasn't hooking you up like kid and play back in the 80s. ( i remember specifically asking for that and my mom being like :gucci: hell no, but i was really young) plus not everybody getting their hair cut by a 20 year old shirtless barber either like dude above said. Most of our barbers was some old nikkas in his 50s and 60s.
It wasn't until old head barbers starting noticing steve harvey during his kings of comedy run. His hairline looked particularly crisp that even regular brehs started recognizing that they needed to step their game up.
later we found out it was actually fake. but before that people got away with just clean hairlines. After they needed to be laser sharp.

Damn, we need this on record somewhere for when cacs decide one day to change the history behind it.

They'll make it be about some gay shyt too.

letti cook

Superstar
Daps
Steve Harvey made it popular in history's biggest twist of irony.
:mjlol:facts.. Steve was crisp as shyt

i cant remember who said it, but there was a bar from a song i used to bump that went....i got the new taper with the steve harvey edge up...

edit: googling the lyric and found a think piece on it :mjlol:
How Steve Harvey Ruined My Hairline | NaturallyCurly.com

"
Enter The Steve Harvey Show in 1996.
Mr. Harvey defined his brand with tailored suits and the straightest edge up man has ever known:
This changed what customers expected of their barbers. No longer was it good enough to have a well groomed natural hairline, customers wanted perfection. Or what they thought was perfection, as Steve Harvey himself, once upon a time kept a natural hairline (though you would have to dig deep in the archives to find that photo).

Last edited: