What's your opinion of Barret in FF7 Remake?

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Breh. I’m from America. All i know is the english dub. :comeon:
You do realize that these games are translations in English right?

JRPG players know that these games are translations. FFVII is known for having a shoddy one. It has mistakes such as “clone” which confused people, rather than the more accurate “puppet”.

The original FFVII has a bad translation. Most VII fans admit this even if English is their native language.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You do realize that these games are translations right?

JRPG players know that these games are translations. FFVII is known for having a shoddy one. It has mistakes such as “clone” which confused people, rather than the more accurate “puppet”.

The original FFVII has a bad translation. Most VII fans admit this even if English is their native language.
I’ve heard this. But again i can only speak to my own experince.

They had your boy sounding crazy in th english dub:manny:

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
I’ve heard this. But again i can only speak to my own experince.

They had your boy sounding crazy in th english dub:manny:
I haven’t played Rebirth since I don’t have a PS5 but he’s pretty good in FFVII remake. He doesn’t have a Mr. T wannabe accent and they embraced his zealot nature by making him talk wild. From what I’ve heard they do him and Dyne justice in Rebirth.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
He’s done a lot better in the new games.
My main concern is Cid. If I were them I would make Cid even more abusive, possibly physically abusive, to make him earn his redemption even harder. But making a character that abuses his girl in 2024…well. That’s a hard sell for many.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
:sas2:Coli bruhs don’t like Barret? I bet they have no problem with Cole Train.

Cole is embarrassing.
Barret and Cid are among the deepest gaming characters ever written. Extremely flawed characters that want to do good and struggle as they do so. Barret at the beginning of the game is a zealot and is no different than Dyne, who eventually shoots up the Gold Saucer. Barret and Cid are very much not good guys when you first meet them. Cid is an emotionally abusive wreck and Barret is a literal terrorist. FFVII’s story does not work without Barret Wallace.

This games story could explored ten times over just using Barret and Cid as examples. We don’t even need to touch Cloud, who is the main character. That’s a good story and you’re a moron.

Unless of course you’re speaking of the awful original English translation which turns Barret into a Mr. T copycat with a ghetto accent then you would be correct. But beyond the surface level of the poor translation he’s still one of the deepest, most human gaming characters ever written. He is the heart of the game.

The original game has Barret talk like a normal person in the Japanese script. It’s the English translation that caricaturizes him. If you cannot understand that I don’t know what to tell you. Separate the original vision from a translation made by crackers. You should be able to do this if you know anything about localization.
Square as a company signed off on that portrayal of the character. If that wasn't their intent why would they? You're speaking for developers and the company as a whole when you try and seperate what you say their intent was vs how it was portrayed vs what the company itself decided to put out as a final product in English. To the people that played the game in English that's the character.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Cole is embarrassing.

Square as a company signed off on that portrayal of the character. If that wasn't their intent why would they? You're speaking for developers and the company as a whole when you try and seperate what you say their intent was vs how it was portrayed vs what the company itself decided to put out as a final product in English. To the people that played the game in English that's the character.
“Square as a company” lmao things were much more separate back in the day. They didn’t even name spells the way they were supposed to (ie Fire, Fira, Firaga) and did stuff like fire, fire 2, fire 3. Even a teenager me realized this came down to localization. Like I said the translation was so bad it fukked up key terms.

Translation had shyt like “This guy are sick” and that’s from the female lead character. Lmao. Everyone knew the translation sucked. FFIV (II) had “you spoony bard” and VI (III) had shyt like “Son of a Submariner!” They always took liberties and Square USA wasn’t as beholden to Square Japan then.

Just take the L.

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I feel like they toned him down from the original game. He's clearly putting on a front especially when you talk to him between missions. He's a caring leader and a good father. But on the surface he does seem like a stereotype.

-Signed memeber of PC master race.
He is a good character objectively speaking, but kinda like with DeeJay in street fighter, the asians just can't help themselves with certain choices and there's no black person around to smack the shyt outta them and say stop it

For example, with how bad our hair is historically butchered or neglected in video games, there's absolutely no way his Remake art design is clearing QA without someone getting smacked up followed by a crash course on how to use Google search as a minimum R&D tool for "black men hair" :mjlol:

Or going back to the og game and the decision to not make Marlene his biological daughter, despite being the original plan. Again, back hand to face, and go add some melanin and braids to that girl.

These oversights don't ruin the character but of course can be off-putting.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Barrett even with the bad translation in the original FFVII was pretty much the heart and soul of the game. I mean he is basically a father to Cloud and gave Cloud a purpose to his life then over the course of the game he grows from being a petty terrorist to seeing the bigger picture and evolving as a leader and a person.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Barrett even with the bad translation in the original FFVII was pretty much the heart and soul of the game. I mean he is basically a father to Cloud and gave Cloud a purpose to his life then over the course of the game he grows from being a petty terrorist to seeing the bigger picture and evolving as a leader and a person.
And the fact he's a black man? Made me a weeboo for life. Japan was doing this shyt in 1997 and we couldn't get America to make deep black characters like that in games for decades. Then Japan was doing stuff like Suikoden III where you can make a black MC the hero, and having normal ass black characters and then America was spazzing out over CJ in GTASA. I'm still a weeaboo to this day because of the way Japan portrayed black characters like Barrett, Hugo (Suikoden III), Aila (Suikoden III), Eddie Gordo;etc. when USA couldn't be assed to make one good black character. All we had was Jax.