What's your opinion of Barret in FF7 Remake?

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
What are you currently playing, sir?

He's not lying @Gizmo_Duck :damn:

30129-yo-momma-full.png

:troll:
lmao-dead.gif

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I feel like they toned him down from the original game. He's clearly putting on a front especially when you talk to him between missions. He's a caring leader and a good father. But on the surface he does seem like a stereotype.

-Signed memeber of PC master race.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Barret in the first mako reactor is embarrassing, but he gets better as the game goes on
This is as far as I've gotten so far and he's a straight caricature. One-dimensional altho I'm guessing it gets better over time.
As a kid i thought he was cool.

As an adult who’s seen more and understands racist dogwhistles, he’s not a good character at all :manny:
I definitely beat the game +20 years ago, but was the dialogue that bad then...? Maybe it's just that he was black and that was enough as a youngin. I do remember liking Afro Thunder on Ready 2 Rumble boxing too smh

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Barret is at the heart of FFVII’s themes. Good Lord shut the fukk up.
You can have a black male character be at the heart of something and not have him be a caricature though. He’s what you get when a room full of non-black folks who have limited or no experience interacting with black people create a black character.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
You can have a black male character be at the heart of something and not have him be a caricature though. He’s what you get when a room full of non-black folks who have limited or no experience interacting with black people create a black character.
Barret and Cid are among the deepest gaming characters ever written. Extremely flawed characters that want to do good and struggle as they do so. Barret at the beginning of the game is a zealot and is no different than Dyne, who eventually shoots up the Gold Saucer. Barret and Cid are very much not good guys when you first meet them. Cid is an emotionally abusive wreck and Barret is a literal terrorist. FFVII’s story does not work without Barret Wallace.

This games story could explored ten times over just using Barret and Cid as examples. We don’t even need to touch Cloud, who is the main character. That’s a good story and you’re a moron.

Unless of course you’re speaking of the awful original English translation which turns Barret into a Mr. T copycat with a ghetto accent then you would be correct. But beyond the surface level of the poor translation he’s still one of the deepest, most human gaming characters ever written. He is the heart of the game.

The original game has Barret talk like a normal person in the Japanese script. It’s the English translation that caricaturizes him. If you cannot understand that I don’t know what to tell you. Separate the original vision from a translation made by crackers. You should be able to do this if you know anything about localization.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
This what we talking about :stopitslime:
You said and I quote “he is not a good character at all.”

Don’t backtrack now.

That is completely contrary to saying “the English translation makes him come off as ghetto.” This is not the same thing.

Barret is still a great character even despite the caricature of the original English translation. If you were unable to get through the game and parse that it’s the translation and not the character itself then :yeshrug:

But you said Barret is not a good character at all. If Barret isn’t a good character then FFVII’s story is a bad story because FFVII’s story does NOT work without him. He is the absolute centerpiece and for that to be a black man you should be able to let go of the poor translation and embrace such a human, trying spirit who strives to do good and actively attempts to make up for his past sins. Barret is integral to the theme of redemption because he was the leader of a terrorist cell. The themes of redemption, justice, and the nature of humanity do not work without him or Cid. Him more so than Cid because being a terrorist that kills innocent people is far worse than being abusive to a sole person, as reprehensible as that is.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You said and I quote “he is not a good character at all.”

Don’t backtrack now.

That is completely contrary to saying “the English translation makes him come off as ghetto.” This is not the same thing.

Barret is still a great character even despite the caricature of the original English translation. If you were unable to get through the game and parse that it’s the translation and not the character itself then :yeshrug:

But you said Barret is not a good character at all. If Barret isn’t a good character then FFVII’s story is a bad story because FFVII’s story does NOT work without him. He is the absolute centerpiece and for that to be a black man you should be able to let go of the poor translation and embrace such a human, trying spirit who strives to do good and actively attempts to make up for his past sins. Barret is integral to the theme of redemption because he was the leader of a terrorist cell. The themes of redemption, justice, and the nature of humanity do not work without him or Cid. Him more so than Cid because being a terrorist that kills innocent people is far worse than being absolve to a sole person, as reprehensible as that is.
Breh. I’m from America. All i know is the english dub. :comeon: