What's The Point of Rooting/Modding Your Android?

homiedontplaydat

Omniversal Guardian
Supporter
Daps
Curious question, what exactly is the point of rooting these phones anymore:jbhmm:

There's not much I can think of that I can't do on my phone as it is.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Oh it's a Samsung Galaxy S22 5g...
Curious question, what exactly is the point of rooting these phones anymore:jbhmm:

There's not much I can think of that I can't do on my phone as it is.
#1 Remove Carrier and Manufacturer Bloat. This refers unwanted apps and features. You can’t uninstall some of the. Bloat apps. You can only disable them. They take up storage. Some run in the background and take up RAM memory. Anything running in the background uses power. You want your battery to last longer right? I’ve rooted androids and jailbroken iphone’s before and can attest to the difference it makes.

Think of the app bloated as paid commercials you can’t get rid of.

#2. More options to customize the UI. Or completely replace it.

#3. App hacks. Do stuff in apps you can’t normally do and are restricted from doing. Such as block ads. Save media you normally can’t save. Use extra features in apps without having to pay In-App purchases.

Warrning: You void your warranty and you can’t use apps like Paypal. You can’t receive carrier updates either. You’d have to use an alt site to download carrier updates.

Last edited:

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
To Remove Passcode Lock:

This wipes the phone. I held volume down and power. It turned off, so I turned it back on and hit volume up and power button again after seeing Samsung logo for about a second or two then I let go and it went to the bootloader screen.

I used volume down to scroll down and chose Wipe data reset to factory or whatever it said then hit power to select it, then confirmed again on the next screen.

Went through options and it said “An unauthorized attempt has been made to reset your device to factory default settings. Connect to a Wi-Fi or mobile network to verify your identity.” This is the FRP.

Stands for Factory Reset Protection. So when searching methods you would type “FRP Bypass”

In my previous post I said that the link I used before was suspicious to me and I’m only saying that cause of the security error I got. There was also a lot of steps. In my research I learned that site is getting it’s FRP Tool from another site so I just used that link instead: SamFw FRP Tool 3.0 Latest Version Setup Free Download Working 100% (softwarecrackguru.com)

I already have the Samsung driver installed on my PC from the last time I did this so after downloading SamFW FRP Tool 3.0 I just went straight to the typing *#0*# on the phone’s keypad part. Then clicked “Remove FRP”. Accepted USB Debugging, blah blah FRP has been successfully bypassed after the phone rebooted.

There’s an option in this tool that will let me disable knox, which is what I need to do if I want to root it. I gotta go to work so I'll continue tomorrow.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
I decided against rooting it because I want to find the easiest and cheapest way to unlock the phone and I can’t do that while it’s rooted.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
If it was locked, I would’ve used it as a media entertainment device only, books, music, movies, games etc. I may or may not have rooted it…but I just found out it’s unlocked by using https://swappa.com/imei after I used that site to verify, I went to a random carrier like T-Mobile to double-check since I haven’t used Swappa before https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone and used that link too and it said it was unlocked… I’m definitely not rooting it now. I shouldn’t have even bumped the thread but it’s worth bumping to add the free FRP Bypass link cause you can’t Root before doing that if it’s passcode and Google account locked anyway.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Oh it's a Samsung Galaxy S22 5g...

#1 Remove Carrier and Manufacturer Bloat. This refers unwanted apps and features. You can’t uninstall some of the. Bloat apps. You can only disable them. They take up storage. Some run in the background and take up RAM memory. Anything running in the background uses power. You want your battery to last longer right? I’ve rooted androids and jailbroken iphone’s before and can attest to the difference it makes.

Think of the app bloated as paid commercials you can’t get rid of.

#2. More options to customize the UI. Or completely replace it.

#3. App hacks. Do stuff in apps you can’t normally do and are restricted from doing. Such as block ads. Save media you normally can’t save. Use extra features in apps without having to pay In-App purchases.

Warrning: You void your warranty and you can’t use apps like Paypal. You can’t receive carrier updates either. You’d have to use an alt site to download carrier updates.

A pure vanilla Google Galaxy version of the S22 would be the GOAT phone

Sammy's bloatware is disgusting :scust:

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Neptune
Rooting androids used to be so GOATED 10 years ago, but now it's kinda unnecessary. Maybe I'm saying that now because I just take a phone for how it is... Before I would mod a phone to perform the way I'd like it to.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Rooting androids used to be so GOATED 10 years ago, but now it's kinda unnecessary. Maybe I'm saying that now because I just take a phone for how it is... Before I would mod a phone to perform the way I'd like it to.

Only reason to do it would be for new UI or delete bloat ware.

Most apk files u can find modded online without rooting your device. It is 100% unnecessary to root a device in 2022

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Hmmm I read everyone's comments. IMO the purpose of rooting/modding is to have the latest and greatest. Certain devices only guarantee updates for 1-2 years and a lot don't offer any updates. For me personally, I buy new phones to get the newest features, but with rooting/modding, you can make your old phone new for free.

Also, the focus point seems to be on UI updates, but lets not forget that these updates also include security updates. If you are using a phone that received its last update 2 years ago, it's at risk to every zero-day bug/malware that has happened since then.

Lastly, extreme customization is another draw although it's lower on the totem pole.

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
I do a lot of “botting” from Androids so I need Super Su and other accesses for certain functions.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Still rocking my S10 and it's still the best Android phone I've used up to this point. I couldn't imagine a need to root it.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Looking at Custom Mods for my Xiaomi Pad 6... Seems like there's more progress being made overall but less differentiating factors than there used to be. It's ironic because there are different hoops you gotta jump thru depending on your manufacturer