What's the film room consensus on Blade Runner?

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
i caught it last night for the first time ever. i know it's a cult classic, can't believe it took me this long.

after doing my research, having known nothing about the different versions, i opted for the 'final cut'.

brehs... this movie was boring as shyt.

thought the pacing was needlessly slow and there was little to no reason at all to invest in harrison ford's character.

about 50 minutes in i wasn't even compelled to finish it. i had to turn it off.

curious about what critics had to say about the film i came to learn that it was initially a bomb at the time of release... which i did not know. made sense to me.

is there anyone here that's a big fan of this movie? what am i not seeing?
you're not seeing it for the first time WHEN it came out..

a few years ago i went on a binge of all the "classic" movies. anything that the press has deemed as amazing and great, yet came out before i was born (80s)

most of them shyts is slow and trash... but you will definitely see the influence that all movies copied.. so i'm guessing at the time, they were fukking amazing.. but we have been so spoiled with updated effects, pacing, writing, censorship, acting, etc.. that trying to compare it to films that are current, they just don't stand up.

now a handful always will.. the godfathers and such. that you feel couldn't be improved and can still rival a current mob movie.. but there ain't no way in hell that 90% of them, would be getting "classic" status, if they dropped today

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
It's one of the most important science fiction movies of all time, but I think too many people go in expecting something different. If you read the plot you would think it's a scifi thriller about a cop chasing down criminals in the future, and in essence of course it is, but in its execution it is really a philosophical exploration of what it means to be "human". You only have to put those two descriptions next to each other and see why people who go in with the first in mind feel quickly disappointed.

It is a vital piece of film history, and in my opinion still an undeniable classic. If you can't fukk with it, you need to upgrade your patience. :hubie:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
For what it's worth, I was :snooze: on Bladerunner the first time I saw it. I was expecting it to be an action movie, and that's really not what they were going for. I fell in love with that movie after seeing another 1-2 times, and now it's one of my all time favorites :blessed:

It's definitely one of those movies that you have to watch two or three times to really "get".

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Huge sci-fi fan but I've never been about to finish this movie on 5 separate attempts to watch it. It's beautiful, and influential but it's beyond boring to me :yeshrug:

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
It's one of the most important science fiction movies of all time, but I think too many people go in expecting something different. If you read the plot you would think it's a scifi thriller about a cop chasing down criminals in the future, and in essence of course it is, but in its execution it is really a philosophical exploration of what it means to be "human". You only have to put those two descriptions next to each other and see why people who go in with the first in mind feel quickly disappointed.

It is a vital piece of film history, and in my opinion still an undeniable classic. If you can't fukk with it, you need to upgrade your patience. :hubie:

if i could sit through and enjoy 2001 i should be able to handle anything.

it's not that i lack patience, i just thought the film gave me no reason to be invested in anything that was happening.:yeshrug:

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
if i could sit through and enjoy 2001 i should be able to handle anything.

it's not that i lack patience, i just thought the film gave me no reason to be invested in anything that was happening.:yeshrug:
Yeah I love 2001 and have easily said through multiple viewing but Blade Runner puts me to sleep

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
I thought Ridley said somethin to the effect of 'of course Deckard is a replicant' and even got fans mad at him or something.

Forget where I heard that.

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i caught it last night for the first time ever. i know it's a cult classic, can't believe it took me this long.

after doing my research, having known nothing about the different versions, i opted for the 'final cut'.

brehs... this movie was boring as shyt.

thought the pacing was needlessly slow and there was little to no reason at all to invest in harrison ford's character.

about 50 minutes in i wasn't even compelled to finish it. i had to turn it off.

curious about what critics had to say about the film i came to learn that it was initially a bomb at the time of release... which i did not know. made sense to me.

is there anyone here that's a big fan of this movie? what am i not seeing?

Its not an action or thriller so patience is a virtue. Its a discussion about humanity and what constitutes as life. Harrison Ford is supposed to seem robotic and emotionless especially when compared to the likes of Roy. That's the entire point.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Blade runner was ahead of its time, even though it was a little boring
its a Deep a$$ movie
with barely mentioned underlying themes of the meaning of life and death,
How racism/class-ism is utilized for profit and using the police force as a militarized faction to keep order
corporations inventing a disposable low wage work force to maximize profits and basically screw over everyone else.
its a movie you have to really listen to, and then you still don't get everything.

we read the book it was based on in college, " do androids dream of electric sheep?"
then watched the movie in class
the movie is a lot different , but kept a lot of the underlying themes
this really needs to be a HBO series to draw out all the items that were missed or needed to be expanded upon.

some of the quotes below.

How can it not know what it is?" (Deckard)

Tyrell: Commerce is our goal here at Tyrell. More human than human is our motto.

Harry Bryant: You know the score,pal. If you're not a cop, you're little people!

Batty: Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.

Tyrell: I'm surprised you didn't come here sooner.
Roy Batty: It's not an easy thing to meet your maker.
Tyrell: What can he do for you?
Roy Batty: Can the maker repair what he makes?
Tyrell: Would you like to be modified?
Roy Batty: I had in mind something a little more radical.
Tyrell: What seems to be the problem?
Roy Batty: Death.
Tyrell: Death. Well, I'm afraid that's a little out of my jurisdiction, you...
Roy Batty: I want more life, father.

Tyrell: You were made as well as we could make you.
Batty: But not to last.

Roy Batty: I've done questionable things.
Tyrell: Also extraordinary things. Revel in your time.
Roy Batty: Nothing the God of bio-mechanics wouldn't let you in heaven for.

Roy Batty: Chew, if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

Roy Batty: "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to die."

Gaff: It's a shame she won't live - but then again, who does?

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
i love it but i totally understand the reaction. a better writer needed to have a final pass over that script. editing what was shot is not a good enough fix. ultimately, while pacing is a problem, the visuals, music, and philosophical concepts are second to none, and rutger hauer's acting is some of his best in his career.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
A lot of the distinction Bade Runner gets is because of it being the forefather of the cyber punk genre in Western film. Did you like The Matrix? You have Blade Runner, in part, to thank for that. Honestly, it transcends just cyber punk. It's one of the most influential science fiction movies ever made. It's influence can be felt in not just movies, but music, literature and even video games.

:whew:

Damn near every 80s up to the mid 90s future anime took inspiration from Blade Runner

Love Blade Runner. It' s my number 1 scifi film.