What's the film room consensus on Blade Runner?

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
i caught it last night for the first time ever. i know it's a cult classic, can't believe it took me this long.

after doing my research, having known nothing about the different versions, i opted for the 'final cut'.

brehs... this movie was boring as shyt.

thought the pacing was needlessly slow and there was little to no reason at all to invest in harrison ford's character.

about 50 minutes in i wasn't even compelled to finish it. i had to turn it off.

curious about what critics had to say about the film i came to learn that it was initially a bomb at the time of release... which i did not know. made sense to me.

is there anyone here that's a big fan of this movie? what am i not seeing?

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
A lot of the distinction Bade Runner gets is because of it being the forefather of the cyber punk genre in Western film. Did you like The Matrix? You have Blade Runner, in part, to thank for that. Honestly, it transcends just cyber punk. It's one of the most influential science fiction movies ever made. It's influence can be felt in not just movies, but music, literature and even video games.

Last edited:

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
A lot of the distinction Bade Runner gets is because of it being the forefather of the cyber punk genre in Western film. Did you like The Matrix? You have Blade Runner, in part, to thank for that. Honestly, it transcends just cyber punk. It's one of the most influential science fiction movie ever made. It's influence can be felt in not just movies, but music, literature and even video games.

yup i look at those exterior shots of the city and it was obvious that at least 80% of all 'future cities' took their cue from this movie.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
yup i look at those exterior shots of the city and it was obvious that at least 80% of all 'future cities' took their cue from this movie.
I only saw it for the first time maybe a couple years ago myself, but I could barely go five minutes through that film without realizing its influence on films I loved. It's kind of like watching mafia films all your life and finally watching The Godfather for the first time. You ever watch Ghost in the Shell(not the live action one)?

NoGutsNoGLory

Superstar
Daps
i caught it last night for the first time ever. i know it's a cult classic, can't believe it took me this long.

after doing my research, having known nothing about the different versions, i opted for the 'final cut'.

brehs... this movie was boring as shyt.

thought the pacing was needlessly slow and there was little to no reason at all to invest in harrison ford's character.

about 50 minutes in i wasn't even compelled to finish it. i had to turn it off.

curious about what critics had to say about the film i came to learn that it was initially a bomb at the time of release... which i did not know. made sense to me.

is there anyone here that's a big fan of this movie? what am i not seeing?
While its fresh in your mind, is Deckard a replicant or is he human in your opinion?

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
While its fresh in your mind, is Deckard a replicant or is he human in your opinion?

i wouldn't know, i didn't finish the film.

from what i saw of the movie that thought didn't even cross my mind. although that sounds like an interesting twist.

NoGutsNoGLory

Superstar
Daps
i wouldn't know, i didn't finish the film.

from what i saw of the movie that thought didn't even cross my mind. although that sounds like an interesting twist.
:russ:shyt my bad breh I don't know why I thought you finished it. Yeah thats something thats been argued for almost 40 years now.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's a personal top 3 movie for me.

The setting :wow:

Roy Batty at the end :wow:

The big plot twist surrounding the unicorn dream :wow:

I think Deckard is a human, personally, even though there's a good argument that he's a replicant. The story carries a lot more dramatic weight when viewed as the tale of a man coming to the grim realization that these replicants are more human than he is. That dramatic hook isn't there when you make him a replicant too. It makes sense logically but dilutes the point of the movie too much IMO.