What's everyone's verdict on Nioh?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Nioh 2 probably has the best combat out of all the Soulslike Genre giving me Ninja Gaiden vibes.

But it lacks the artistic design, polish, level design, and style of Dark Souls, Bloodborne, or Sekiro..

Still I haven’t had as much fun playing a game since MHW though.

It also lacks the sense of mystery and adventure. One of the big reasons people love dark souls is the exploration. Like oh shyt, whats that glowing soul thingy up top there, a new rare broad sword, a ring, an estrus upgrade? You’ll risk your progress and give up all your souls to find out even if it ends up being some bullshyt.

Nioh doesn’t have that. It’s just countless dupe items with minor stat changes the entire game. It rarely feels good to find anything. It’s more of an action game like sekiro where it’s more about the combat but you get get pretty burnt out from it.

Another thing is i can put down a souls game for a week and jump back in and be fine but there’s a lot of button presses with nioh that you have to ease yourself into. The parry system, the ki charge you have to do after every hit, inventory management, buffs, stances, etc.

I knew once i put down part 2 it would be over for me unless i start from the beginning again.. I wouldn’t be surprised if less people finish nioh games than souls games for that reason

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
What did part 2 improve on over part 1?
Being able too create your own character. Areas, enemies, story were a bit better. It's not extremely different but pretty much everything was improved on slightly imo.

It was a proper sequel. Took what was great about the first game and improved a bit and added some new mechanics

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Being able too create your own character. Areas, enemies, story were a bit better. It's not extremely different but pretty much everything was improved on slightly imo.

And the yokai parry. It feels more like Nioh 1.2 rather than an actual sequel. They even reuse a lot of the same assets and animations

AyyyLmao

All Star
Daps

How's the difficulty compared to the first?

Don Mack

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL
IDK about that one, breh. I've been beating Nioh so far without too much trouble, but Sekiro kicked my ass so bad that I stopped playing :lolbron:. The boss who gave me the most trouble in Nioh was Hino-enma. She killed me like 22 times straight.

Sekiro would be the exception to the rule. The true final boss beat me like 50 times before I beat him. You practically gotta beat him 4 times in a row.

FloorGeneral

I don't even know anymore...
Daps
Reppin
Packerland
First game was my favorite game, until the 2nd came out. First game's 'cac protagonist' is based on a real person, and the story is also (albeit loosely) based on real events, filled with numerous historical figures from Japan, so there's that.

Combat-wise, there is no game that matches it, period. It's why I can't play these other games anymore: I've been spoiled. The depth and versatility of the combat is something you just don't find in other games. Most ppl that shyt on it play it like a Souls game, when it's so much more if you just dig a little. I will say that the game doesn't do a great job of advertising it's strengths, so most casuals will only scratch the surface. But if you're willing to dig and learn, it just opens up.

As far as differences in the two games, the 2nd is better in almost every way. I say almost, but the superiority of the 1st is in something that most players won't notice, so it's basically negligible. Difficulty is always hard to gauge, as it is with the Souls games. Your 1st experience should always be your hardest, but there are a couple really challenging fights in the 2nd game for me (and I consider myself good at the game). Plus with the 2nd DLC they added a new (optional) mechanic that makes the game even more difficult (basically by boosting enemies health and damage), if that's your thing.

I admit I'm a bit biased, as over the past couple years, other than like a month exodus into The Witcher 3, I've played nothing but Nioh/Nioh 2. If you're looking for an engaging story, or haunting, mystical atmosphere, you're not gonna find it here. But if, like me, you're a fan of deep and engaging combat, with all weapons being legit options, there's nothing out there better.

Don Mack

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL
First game was my favorite game, until the 2nd came out. First game's 'cac protagonist' is based on a real person, and the story is also (albeit loosely) based on real events, filled with numerous historical figures from Japan, so there's that.

Combat-wise, there is no game that matches it, period. It's why I can't play these other games anymore: I've been spoiled. The depth and versatility of the combat is something you just don't find in other games. Most ppl that shyt on it play it like a Souls game, when it's so much more if you just dig a little. I will say that the game doesn't do a great job of advertising it's strengths, so most casuals will only scratch the surface. But if you're willing to dig and learn, it just opens up.

As far as differences in the two games, the 2nd is better in almost every way. I say almost, but the superiority of the 1st is in something that most players won't notice, so it's basically negligible. Difficulty is always hard to gauge, as it is with the Souls games. Your 1st experience should always be your hardest, but there are a couple really challenging fights in the 2nd game for me (and I consider myself good at the game). Plus with the 2nd DLC they added a new (optional) mechanic that makes the game even more difficult (basically by boosting enemies health and damage), if that's your thing.

I admit I'm a bit biased, as over the past couple years, other than like a month exodus into The Witcher 3, I've played nothing but Nioh/Nioh 2. If you're looking for an engaging story, or haunting, mystical atmosphere, you're not gonna find it here. But if, like me, you're a fan of deep and engaging combat, with all weapons being legit options, there's nothing out there better.

I played it damn near everyday up until Dream of The Wise. Now it seems like everything is a damage sponge and you’re a glass canon without defense magic regardless of how tanks your build is. I’ll come back for the 3rd DLC and probably play it on Dream of the Demon

FloorGeneral

I don't even know anymore...
Daps
Reppin
Packerland
I played it damn near everyday up until Dream of The Wise. Now it seems like everything is a damage sponge and you’re a glass canon without defense magic regardless of how tanks your build is. I’ll come back for the 3rd DLC and probably play it on Dream of the Demon
lol it’s not quite that bad unless you start messing with the stone. Play that at a high enough level (maybe 5/6 and up) and you’ll be getting one-shot by a bunch of boss attacks and mobs become super dangerous. Me and another dude did a Wise expedition run with level 1 weapons. That shyt was fun. Can’t wait for DotN. Bring the pain :blessed:

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps
Nioh_350x200_3x-0.jpg

There isn't much talk on this forum about this game. What's everyone's opinion? :jbhmm:

I've been playing it for a while, and I actually think it might be better than any FromSoftware game that's not DS1. The combat is definitely better, in my mind. The only thing that kinda bothers me about it is the self-insert cac protagonist in a Japanese samurai game. That shyt is lame af, just make the MC Asian :hhh:
if u worried bout a protag u shoulda coppee pt 2...and even pt 1 u can change into a diff character...but yea nioh is fire....only the real are forged in the flame :wow:

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Beat both games and if you can beat Nioh you can pretty much beat any game.
You honor me :wow: i feel like a true samurai warrior

Got this free on ps+. Wasnt feeling it at first. Was getting my ass kicked heavy. Something awakened during the frog boss tho. :whoo: i beat every mission on Nioh 1 dolo :wow: didnt even realize it had online till halfway thru

Good Game. Loot system was ass and its hella grindy. Bosses were super cool. Difficult yet rewarding