What's better True Detective Season 2 or 3?

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Never bothered with season 2 or 3, I believed folks when they said stop at season 1. This thread ain't convincing me any differently :ld:

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Season 2 is borderline unwatchable so season 3 wins by default :hubie:

Season 2 is a great example of someone buying into Hollywood hype and letting their own ego and hubris run rampant.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Season 2 needed more time in the oven... but had the ingredients there for two great separate seasons..

Season 3 is better.. but there's not much mystery to it.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
It sucks that the writing for the second season was so convoluted because there really were some moments of greatness in there. The Eyes Wide Shut-esque craziness at the mansion, Velcoro’s dream sequence, the hard-boiled noir feel, and those beautiful aerial sky shots over Vinci with the score. Farrell did some carrying as far as acting went.

Third season was a nice return to form along with stronger writing, so I’ll favor that one. First season is one of the best seasons of a TV show ever but each one has its own different charm that I appreciate.

I think about S2 often because of those moments It's not a good season of television and I was quite frustrated with it at the time, but the highs are incredibly high. I agree the writer through too much shyt in it. I understand what he was trying to do. He couldn't get away with another two detective noir season, so he needed more characters. It just didn't work because there were too many characters, they didn't mesh well, and their individual stories varied in quality.

Another major problem is that S1 felt like a true labor of love. The writer/creator is from Louisiana and you could tell he was intimately familiar with the entire vibe presented. The characters, accents, mannerisms, the way they talked, religion...it all felt authentic. Whereas S2 is based in a fictional city in Los Angeles. Such a weird decision.

Haven't seen S3 yet. Looks dope and I've heard good things.

3rdLetter

Pushin afros back to '76
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Qnz, NYC
S3 was better.
S2 was the better thread :russ: S2 just had too much going on and anything with Taylor Kitsch in it is bound to be :trash: Vince Vaughn's dialogue was hilariously bad :russ: "blue balls in your heart" is classic though :dame:

Lefty Gunz

Superstar
Daps
I went back and rewatched all 3 seasons last year when I had covid. Season 2 wasn't as bad as I remembered :ld:

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
S3 started off strong with the first 2 episodes and then struggled to reach those highs again but I'll take it over S2

either way, I only rewatch S1

CROM

Pray. I will not listen, but I will laugh at you
Daps
Reppin
Valhalla
Never bothered with season 2 or 3, I believed folks when they said stop at season 1. This thread ain't convincing me any differently :ld:
Season 3 was by far the better season. Masterful performances by Ali and Dorff. The chemistry between them was strong…not quite McConaughey and Harrelson…but pretty damned strong. There was enough intrigue throughout the series to keep you interested. Season 2 was utterly forgettable with very few…if any…highlights.

If nothing else, watch Season 3 for Ali and Dorff’s performances.