Whatever happened to the planned Mansa Musa movie?

BrownBunny

All Star
Daps
mansa-musa-1-640x378.jpg
The one that Ryan Coogler was supposed to direct? Is it still getting made? I remember there being press on it before Black Panther.
:gucci:

Coogler is the perfect director, the only problem is that he wanted Michael B. Jordan for the role. :patrice:

This are the kind of movies that should be getting made instead of gang and Tyler Perry bullshyt

A good flick would create greater pride and interest in West African history rather than the lame hyper fixation on Ancient Egypt.

Last edited:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
mansa-musa-1-640x378.jpg
The one that Ryan Coogler was supposed to direct? Is it still getting made? I remember there being press on it before Black Panther.

Coogler is the perfect director, the only problem is that he wanted Michael B. Jordan for the role. :patrice:

This are the kind of movies that should be getting made instead of gang and bullshyt

A good flick would create greater pride and interest in West African history rather than the lame hyper fixation on Ancient Egypt

Great point, the whole fact that a lot of Black people make it a crusade to connect themselves with Ancient Egypt but totally overlook other African empires and kingdoms has always been strange to me.

BrownBunny

All Star
Daps
Great point, the whole fact that a lot of Black people make it a crusade to connect themselves with Ancient Egypt but totally overlook other African empires and kingdoms has always been strange to me.
I don’t get it either. Even if the Ancient Egyptians were all Black as night, it’s like English people ignoring the history of Anglo-saxons and Britons to gas up Frankish and Germanic rulers. We have no direct ancestral ties to those people. As far as that side of the continent, I find the Nubians more interesting.

The worst part is when people try to claim Cleopatra. She was a terrible leader and she wasn’t even a true Egyptian. She was a Greek incest baby.

It’s becoming more and more common for role of Cleopatra in Shakespeare’s Antony and Cleopatra to be played by a Black woman.
:scust:
b7082-a-c_review_web_and_social_images_hub_1440x1368.tmb-wo-720.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

antony-jonathan-cake-is-brought-to-his-knees-by-cleopatra-90578.jpg

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
mansa-musa-1-640x378.jpg

This are the kind of movies that should be getting made instead of gang and Tyler Perry bullshyt

A good flick would create greater pride and interest in West African history rather than the lame hyper fixation on Ancient Egypt.

Maybe it's still being planned, did you expect them to drop it a week after it was spoken about?