What would you say the main ADOS religion?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The largest AA denomination in the country is The Church of God in Christ aka COGIC.

Originates in Memphis, and incorporates some elements of AA based faith systems like Hoodoo. I think that's what has made it spread and many to adopt it. It taps into cultural memories of the faith systems that their ancestors brought with them here.

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
I think it was a combo of African Influence(From Different Ethnic Groups), as well as "Homegrown" in America.

There is a "Spirit" that exists in the Black American Church, that I don't see in other Churches.

it's hard to explain, but If you've ever been in one, and especially if you were raised in one (Like I was), you can pick up on it.

There is also Black American "Church Culture", and ways that "Church Folks" do and say things, that is unique.

The way the Organ sounds, when the player hits those chords, that are unique to us.

The way "Sister Jenkins", sings a Solo in the Choir that may be a little "Out of tune", and the older Ladies, in the front pew tell her to...
"Take Your Time" and "Bless Her Jesus", LOL

Those "Invisible Beats" in between Claps, the "Double Clap", and "Triple Clap", the "Choir Sway" that we do, the "Call and Response".

I was raised in the Black Church so for me it feels like "Home".
Sister Jenkins is my grandma. Your post brought back good memories growing up in the church, spending a significant portion of my childhood in the church. The choir practices on Tuesdays, vacation Bible school every summer, my mama making sure to keep some starburst in her purse, giving me and my siblings candy during the sermons. My pop taking us all to Ryan’s or Piccadilly’s after church, and seeing other families in there.

Christianity is definitely the answer.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
The largest AA denomination in the country is The Church of God in Christ aka COGIC.

Originates in Memphis, and incorporates some elements of AA based faith systems like Hoodoo. I think that's what has made it spread and many to adopt it. It taps into cultural memories of the faith systems that their ancestors brought with them here.
You mean Voodoo? Hoodoo isn't a religion so much as a modality of magic.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Some other stuff I posted before

81YG%2B4GtQVL.jpg

71YjQHBRS8L.jpg

qmIIHTb.jpg

OtAYTVk.jpg
RIP the Prophet

RIP Brother PB Randolph.

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Many of us came over to America as Muslim, many with Traditional African Religions, and from what I've seen from previous studies some of us were Jewish. I wouldn't be surprised if some of us were already Christian as well.

There are many lies about the position(s) we were in as people before slavery.
The majority were animists with a significant Muslim minority and very small number of Christians

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
@IllmaticDelta what are some ADOS religious customs that specifically came from African traditional religions/animism/paganism?

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
protestant christianity (baptist, apostolic, COGIC aka pentecostal, etc.)

sunni islam is a distant second

the hallmarks of black american christianity is the charismatic, holy ghost focused theology with extremely refined gospel music traditions. liberation theology was extremely important but has been waning in favor of prosperity preaching
Even with that Christianity practiced by African Americans lies a tradition in Islam, which is where we get stuff like shouting and the calls to prayer which are referred to as old time hymns/Dr. Watts.

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: NZA