What makes Illmatic that great?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Because it set the blueprint for all modern rap albums that have come after it. If you listen to the lyrics on illmatic nas touched on almost all subjects that are prevelant within the hiphop community today. From drugs to bytches partying, fashion, stuntin,weed, hood stories, introspective shyt, personal shyt. Almost anything anybody raps about today nas already talked about it on illmatic. And he did it with a lyrical style that has still not been matched to this day.

Yoda

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hip Hop
theres a fukking book about this album.
lyrically nothing was close to it back then...maybe not even now.

Yagirlcheatinonus

Icon Poster
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My thing is there are other albums that are better.. Nas didn't set the tone for modern day MC's either. People hype this album because when it dropped they was calling him the golden child and Rakims heir but their were more lyrical mcs before him.

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
more lyrical before and after for sure but none as complete and as perfecty balanced as him, and none dropped an album with that amount of incredible songs put together in a row like that

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My thing is there are other albums that are better.. Nas didn't set the tone for modern day MC's either. People hype this album because when it dropped they was calling him the golden child and Rakims heir but their were more lyrical mcs before him.

cool story bro

:snooze:

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
For me Illmatic's greatness goes beyond its technical flawlessness. Illmatic is greater than the sum of its parts. If you think of it just in terms of hot beats and hot lyrics then yes, I suppose it can be matched by a few other albums. But what sets it apart in my eyes is just the....I don't know, the mood it creates when you're listening to it. It's what sets it apart from IWW, who was technically perhaps even better than Illmatic. But Illmatic has that X factor about it. It goes beyond just entertainment.

The core purpose of art is to sensitize, to provoke thought and emotion. And no album does that as good or better than Illmatic. Illmatic is the only album I’d praise for reaching the artistic and philosophic heights of literature.

The dude Nas caught lightning in a bottle with Illmatic. I don't think what he did will ever be achieved again.

Yeah, I'm a stan. What? :pacspit:

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
dude was really young too.. these kids out there don't even know what "medusa" means anymore