What is the consensus on direct ab work

semtex

:)
Daps
Treat them like any other muscle. If you want profoundly visible brick abs then yeah.

If you wanted a shredded back you wouldn't skip back exercises in favor of dieting down to a size where your back looked more defined. So why do it with abs?

3-4 times a week is overkill though especially if you do compound stuff (particularly pullups)

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Treat them like any other muscle. If you want profoundly visible brick abs then yeah.

If you wanted a shredded back you wouldn't skip back exercises in favor of dieting down to a size where your back looked more defined. So why do it with abs?

3-4 times a week is overkill though especially if you do compound stuff (particularly pullups)

I agree with this. Makes sense.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Have you ever seen an Olympic weight lifter or competitive power-lifter do core-specific exercises, e.g. sit-ups, crunches, roman chair leg lifts? Their core is already strong so they don't need to do additional exercises that specifically target the abs. Their ab muscles are worked indirectly from their exercises.
You can do them if your core is weak like from injury.
But don't do core exercises thinking that you can flatten your abs.

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...

Exactly. I used to do an entire day just for abs
But I switched up routine when I got up with these new gym buddies

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
I don't do too many ab exercises, (plank variations, renegade rows, hundreds and leg raises)...my other workouts, (like squats no shyt) engage it enough.

I still focus on dieting down more than anything...I have a hard fukking six pack that hidden under a thinning shroud of gelatin :mjcry: