What is the consensus on direct ab work

hoodheronova

All Star
Daps
In my expert opinion if your not doing a weighted ab workout then your stomach probably looks like shyt. N you should be working abs directly at least 3-4x a week.

What do y'all subscribe to?

Daps
Reppin
Toronto
It's all depends on your own personal goals.. if direct ab wrk is somthin you wanna do that's fits into your training :yeshrug:

Me personally direct ab work? :mjlol: :russ:

I'll stick with my heavy compound movments.. weighted dips and pull ups got them lookin decent.

And I'm bulking like a savage right now too :umad:

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Do lower abs like Captains Chairs or hanging leg raises before doing regular ab work.

I do obliques with my back day and upper/lower on Chest and Leg day:manny:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I think stuff like planks and dead bugs for example would be great additions to any workout. Stuff like crunches and sit ups to me dont serve much purpose at all.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
Don't know shyt and have never had abs(working on it) but I think direct ab work is a waste of time unless your working out your core (planks, ab roller, or palloff press, I thought they were called cable crosses :yeshrug:). I know they all work your core but from what I've been told/read those are some of the most effective. Exercises like situps are bad for your spine and most of the work is done by your hips.

If you're a fat guy that wants abs, you can use your workout time and energy in better ways than direct ab exercises to reach that goal.

If anything I'm saying is wrong let me know.

Slaimon Khan Shah

SLAIMON KHAN SHAH = SHAOLIN MONK/S OF ISLAAM
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Denver, Colorado, United States of America
In my expert opinion if your not doing a weighted ab workout then your stomach probably looks like shyt. N you should be working abs directly at least 3-4x a week.

I just don't want to be lazy. I still want to improve. I don't know if I'm qualified to answer.

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
I tend to add in a few direct ab work outs from time to time, dont spend ages though, 1000 sits up etc.

Hanging leg raises
Ab Wheel

Pretty much what I do.

You core gets worked alot from other movements, spesh OHP

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
It's like anything. If you focus on the muscle group while working on it then the body resistance alone should develop the muscles. Just depends how much effort you want to put into it. If you're swinging your body and just using momentum then you're not going to get good results. If you focus and have complete control and make sure your abs are doing all the work then you'll get great results. And of course nothing helps show off them abs more then a good diet.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

As far as how your abs "look", diet has more to do with that than exercise ever will, this is fact.
Weighted ab work are more about developing a strong core than aesthetics.

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

hoodheronova

All Star
Daps
As far as how your abs "look", diet has more to do with that than exercise ever will, this is fact.
Weighted ab work are more about developing a strong core than aesthetics.
not true. Your abs can hypertrophy just like any other muscle.

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
shyt fat people do because they think it will make them lose belly weight

If youre doing your compounds right your abs will get a good enough workout from that and maybe one day direct abs and another on obliques. A bulky core doesn't look good but if youre doing it for utility vs aesthetics then by all means do your thing

And Id bet money you look like shyt giving this terrible advice. 3-4 times a week :dwillhuh: :mjlol:

Just because you show up here and there at the gym doesn't mean you should be giving out advice on how people should train nikka :camby:

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
only makes sense to me if youre a fighter.

I never do ab work and my shyt is poppin.
its all Squats, Deads, and other compound movements that do it for me.