"What if Harry Potter attended a HBCU?" Young Adult Fantasy book debuts on the New York Times Best Seller List (Blood at the Root)

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
3. Sad as it is, there are just a lot of black kids in those kinds of situations, and this book seems intended to let them experience escapism. At the start of the book is a foreword from the author talking about how black male teens don't be reading and he wonders if its because they don't see themselves represented in books, so he wrote this to do that

Nah, that's not the reason why. A lot of video games and movies don't have a bunch of representation and black teen males still consume those. :francis:

Son Goku

Daps
Isn’t that conditioned behavior?

I have absolutely no idea what you mean but the notion that young brehs don't read because they're not featured in the media they'd be consuming is ludicrous. :rudy:

- They're really aren't any brehs in DBZ and shyt and yet black dudes been rocking with it since it came to America.
- They're aren't a lot of prominent black video game characters and yet brehs will still play non-sports games.
- Before BP brehs were still rocking with the MCU and going to the movies, despite brehs only playing bit or secondary roles.

What about the prior generation(s) of brehs that would read like that? Was there a recent decrease in brehs being portrayed in literature over the past decade or so, or is it something else completely?

Nah, black male teens ain't reading like that because they're either choosing not to or because they cannot read well enough to read for pleasure. :francis:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Is this black character bytch made like Harry potter. As I refuse.
to ever read.
or watch.
anything about bytch ass Harry potter.

fukk Harry potter.
Character is for emasculated goofies.

I will never watch or read anything about that effeminate bytch made lil boi ass character.

fukk Harry potter = eternal

Yo heart pump estrogen bytch made juice.
if you even watch.
or read Harry potter.

You can not even watch Harry potter on my TV.
Even when I am not around.

Art Barr

Ish Gibor

Omnipresence
Daps
I have absolutely no idea what you mean but the notion that young brehs don't read because they're not featured in the media they'd be consuming is ludicrous. :rudy:

- They're really aren't any brehs in DBZ and shyt and yet black dudes been rocking with it since it came to America.
- They're aren't a lot of prominent black video game characters and yet brehs will still play non-sports games.
- Before BP brehs were still rocking with the MCU and going to the movies, despite brehs only playing bit or secondary roles.

What about the prior generation(s) of brehs that would read like that? Was there a recent decrease in brehs being portrayed in literature over the past decade or so, or is it something else completely?

Nah, black male teens ain't reading like that because they're either choosing not to or because they cannot read well enough to read for pleasure. :francis:

“Women have been mobilized as cultural markers/bearers in relation to both nationalist discourse and subnational identity politics. Their role has been both symbolic, to represent the nation or culture, and functional, to transmit it (to their children and to other women)"

(Women as Cultural Markers/Bearers, B. Winter, Published 21 April 2016)

“This Mother’s Day is a perfect opportunity to reflect upon the indispensable role mothers play in safeguarding cultural heritage and how the traditions and practices they pass down to their children serve to shape future generations. Sociology)”

"Sample items from the ideologies of child development and learning subscale are “Children are by nature born innocent,” “Mothers must begin training child as soon as ready,” and “Children can improve in almost anything if they work hard.” Sample items from the ideologies of the mother-child relationship subscale are “mothers primarily express love by helping child succeed, especially, in school” and “a child should be in the constant care of their mothers or family.”

(Cultural Roots of Parenting: Mothers’ Parental Social Cognitions and Practices From Western US and Shanghai/China, Huihua He et al., Front Psychol. 2021; 12: 565040. Published online 2021 Apr 13.)

Son Goku

Daps
“Women have been mobilized as cultural markers/bearers in relation to both nationalist discourse and subnational identity politics. Their role has been both symbolic, to represent the nation or culture, and functional, to transmit it (to their children and to other women)"

(Women as Cultural Markers/Bearers, B. Winter, Published 21 April 2016)

“This Mother’s Day is a perfect opportunity to reflect upon the indispensable role mothers play in safeguarding cultural heritage and how the traditions and practices they pass down to their children serve to shape future generations. Sociology)”

"Sample items from the ideologies of child development and learning subscale are “Children are by nature born innocent,” “Mothers must begin training child as soon as ready,” and “Children can improve in almost anything if they work hard.” Sample items from the ideologies of the mother-child relationship subscale are “mothers primarily express love by helping child succeed, especially, in school” and “a child should be in the constant care of their mothers or family.”

(Cultural Roots of Parenting: Mothers’ Parental Social Cognitions and Practices From Western US and Shanghai/China, Huihua He et al., Front Psychol. 2021; 12: 565040. Published online 2021 Apr 13.)

Not reading through all that since it didn't seem to be about young brehs and their representation in literature. :troll:

We already know if your home life ain't shyt, you're prolly not sitting down to read.

Only one young breh left in the family and he loves to read but we're a family of blerds. :mjgrin:

If the rest of these lil dudes don't, that's on them, I got no dog in the fight. :hubie:

Ish Gibor

Omnipresence
Daps
Not reading through all that since it didn't seem to be about young brehs and their representation in literature. :troll:

We already know if your home life ain't shyt, you're prolly not sitting down to read.

Only one young breh left in the family and he loves to read but we're a family of blerds. :mjgrin:

If the rest of these lil dudes don't, that's on them, I got no dog in the fight. :hubie:
It all starts at a young age. As I said, it’s conditioning and it the foundation is how one is nurtured.

Son Goku

Daps
It all starts at a young age. As I said, it’s conditioning and it the foundation is how one is nurtured.

I mean, sure, that makes sense, but that's not what the author-breh postulated. :usure:

Either way, me and mine be reading so it's whatever. :hubie:

Lambent55

All Star
Daps
Did Harry Potter promote itself as something else like "Lord of the Rings but just all the wizard stuff at school"?

No. It promoted itself as a book about a boy at a magic school. That's it.

This a book about a magic boy from foster care at a HBCU. That's it.

Be tryna spin shyt as the "black version" of this or that. The work can stand on its own. It's good enough.
That's how they promote books nowadays, I don't like it, but this is something going on across the board.

Look at this nonsense.

image.png

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
These recent comic book negros have turned out to be c00ns.

Hopefully this brotha has his head on straight.