"What if Harry Potter attended a HBCU?" Young Adult Fantasy book debuts on the New York Times Best Seller List (Blood at the Root)

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Do they know how rooted in Christianity most HBCU’s are? The Christian students would hold a protest and try to lay hands on him. This would not end well.

RageKage

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Macragge
Do they know how rooted in Christianity most HBCU’s are? The Christian students would hold a protest and try to lay hands on him. This would not end well.
He could turn them into oil goblins though

:sadcam:

• Wow
Reactions: TEH

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
3. Sad as it is, there are just a lot of black kids in those kinds of situations, and this book seems intended to let them experience escapism. At the start of the book is a foreword from the author talking about how black male teens don't be reading and he wonders if its because they don't see themselves represented in books, so he wrote this to do that

Basically if this was a movie or tv show by a bunch of white execs I'd be taking the same stance you are, but since its a kids book im a lot more lenient

I agree with you but to to reiterate and add on to my rant, these are pretty much all of the stories we get.

For every 90 of these down trodden, broke, ghetto, unwanted, unloved and hated black stories we get one cosby-esque or family matter story that's like "hey, not all black families, characters or people are like that" and those do well so theres no reason to keep pushing the broken down black person narrative.

And if you really are broke, down trodden, going through shyt do you really want to read about others or watch others on the screen in the same place? How is it an escape if you can just turn off the TV or close the book and live it?

RamsayBolton

Superstar
Daps
this is bad promo.

the book is a national best seller so obviously not :dahell:

I agree with you but to to reiterate and add on to my rant, these are pretty much all of the stories we get.

For every 90 of these down trodden, broke, ghetto, unwanted, unloved and hated black stories we get one cosby-esque or family matter story that's like "hey, not all black families, characters or people are like that" and those do well so theres no reason to keep pushing the broken down black person narrative.

And if you really are broke, down trodden, going through shyt do you really want to read about others or watch others on the screen in the same place? How is it an escape if you can just turn off the TV or close the book and live it?

Cause he gets to escape from that and go to a magical HBCU I guess

If I was that age again I think I'd be hype to see a black male of any kind in a magical story tbh but idk what kind of books get made for teens these days

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Why does he have to be in the foster care and taking care of his lil brother?
Black children are over represented in foster care.

It's never just a regular character. A black characters foundation is down trodden, already has it hard before you get to the critical point or inciting incident of the story.
Are you new here? I mean, to this planet? Bp fukked up everywhere. You want over representation of the talented tenth.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
Crack barrel ass nikkas really upset this book is being compared to one of the largest book franchises in Human history. :what:

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
Why the fukk do we always have to pull ourselves out of the mud?

Why does he have to be in the foster care and taking care of his lil brother?

I get it harry potter lived with his aunt or cousin some shyt (never seen the movie or read the books).

But we can't just have regular black people. It's always dad left, mom died or some shyt.

We need more stories with just regular black families. Not a guy auntie, or gay brother, not a white dad and black mom, not a black dad working 2 jobs struggling to rent an apartment while his teenage boy discovers he has super powers.

I get it, I understand the need for plot lines and reasoning build a story but it's always some down trodden shyt even before we get to the plot.

It's never just a regular character. A black characters foundation is down trodden, already has it hard before you get to the critical point or inciting incident of the story.
This is the problem when ignorant dikk heads get involved in fields they have little no interest in.

Unlike films and games, there's not a price barrier to writing. If you feel there is a gap in the market, pick up a pen and paper, you don't even need to get off your fat ass.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
How many best sellers have you promoted.
the book is a national best seller so obviously not :dahell:

'Best-seller' is a fake title. It's an industry game, Charlemagne has a bestseller :skip:

RamsayBolton

Superstar
Daps
'Best-seller' is a fake title. It's an industry game, Charlemagne has a bestseller :skip:

its gameable and not 100% accurate but what else are we gonna use to judge how well this book is selling :manny: