What gaming franchises would you say didn’t have “safe” sequels?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I’m hearing this term a lot more now and i can’t help but wonder what a non-safe sequel looks like.

Theres only two games that come to mind at the moment.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:jbhmm:Off top MGS 2 and TLOU2

there-it-is.gif

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:yeshrug: You could also argue GTA 4 too since it did abandoned its arcadey roots. For a more grounded and realistic one. Remember after the honeymoon faze for GTA 4 was over. People were saying it was boring compared to San Andreas, and Saints Row 2 was the better game. It wasn’t until later into GTA 5’s life, and that Crowbcat video. That people began praising GTA 4.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:yeshrug: You could also argue GTA 4 too since it did abandoned its arcadey roots. For a more grounded and realistic one. Remember after the honeymoon faze for GTA 4 was over. People were saying it was boring compared to San Andreas, and Saints Row 2 was the better game. It wasn’t until later into GTA 5’s life, and that Crowbcat video. That people began praising GTA 4.

Yeah, but I wouldn’t say it was “unsafe”, it was still the basic GTA formula with a bigger budget

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Nier Automata.

The first game was a critical and commercial flop, following the critical and commercial flop its predecessor Drakengard was.

Automata was set up to fail, was sci-fi compared to its predecessors, but turned into a surprise hit

A very niche part of the gaming community(me included) wanted another Nier game.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I’m hearing this term a lot more now and i can’t help but wonder what a non-safe sequel looks like.

Theres only two games that come to mind at the moment.

Horizon Forbbiden West went WWWWAAYAYAYAYA left field for me.

Granted the gameplay didn't change, much.

But, the storyline did not go where I thought.

Also,

People snapped at the switch up

metalgearsolid2-sons_of_liberty-raymond_benson.jpg