What Game Do You Think Was The Most "Ahead Of It's Time"?

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
Body_Harvest.jpg

Gta with aliens. Rockstar need to bring this shyt back.

Turlast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Two One Five
Already see Xenogears and Shenmue mentioned. Coli brehs know what's up :salute:

Also see Flashback was mentioned. When I got that game back in the day, I kept telling myself "This feels way different than any Sega game I ever played". That game is amazing. Glad to see it getting its recognition here.

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
Sonic 2 on the Genesis. First time a platformer had 2 characters in the main game to help each other. Sonic 3 took that to new heights.

Sonic 3 already GOAT status but if they had a split screen option it would been even more :banderas:

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'd say Shenmue..:wow:

still more interactive (in terms of environment and NPC's) than any GTA game :wow:

being able to open any individual drawer or closet in your house :mindblown: being able to use the phone to call your girl or check on the weather for that day:smugbiden:

being able to have conversations with any NPC you see or knock on any door (and sometimes someone will answer and tell you to fukk off :russ: )

all from a game made in 1999 :mindblown: we still don't see this level of interaction today

hqdefault.jpg

:ahh: I swear these character models still hold up too

THIS!

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
All the immediate ones have already been mentioned: Chrono Trigger, Shen Mue, Metal Gear Solid.
To an extent, PSVR (or VR games in general) I would consider ahead of their time. If you've ever played RE7 in VR you would know that VR is the future, but the technology and price point hasn't been perfected yet. They also have to fight against generations of consumer behavior that prefer to play games sitting down with a controller in hand.
Other than that I would say Indigo Prophecy was ahead of its time as well.

Mr. Riddim

All Star
Daps
for kart racing, diddy kong racing.

Wholeheartedly agree. Being able to compete with land, air and sea vehicles in the same race. :ohlawd:
Adventure mode. (There was even a code for co-op):ohlawd:
Boss races. :ohlawd:

If ever there was a game that needed a reboot with online multiplayer...

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I’m gonna go out on a limb and include GTA2...what’s crazy is my cuz’n I said it’d be a wrap if they somehow made it a 3D game similar to other PS2 games @ the time