What exactly is devops?

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
this is solid knowledge...you indirectly just helped me. I have noticed banks are slowly trying to get into devops but it just seems like a half ass measure. Capitol One seems to be the only financial firm I have seen that has adopted Devops and cloud computing in a real way.

Isn't it crazy?

They clearly have the capital but they are really stuck in their ways when it comes to development and sdlc.
I haven't worked with Capital One but I would like to if they actually embrace Devops

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@The Wave Bro you're out here really helping nikkas. This is what TheColi needs more of. Straight career knowledge.

Preciate it breh, I just wanna see more of us in this field :wow:

Plenty of brehs are coding, which is good, but we need more enterprise level developers.
The money is out there for sure

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I wanted to make one slight correction for anyone who might be a little confused.

I said multiple times above that Master is never edited. And in an ideal world.. it isn't. Its only destroyed when a release candidate is good to go, and that release candidate became the new master. However, there is a caveat to this that i'm sure everyone is aware of (its also in my slide)

This is a Hotfix.

A Hotfix is required when you promote a release candidate that has a very damaging bug that simply cannot wait for the next code sprint. The main difference is that when working on a Hotfix, the developers pull directly from master (not dev) and when they are finished they submit a pull request back to master.

Only the top top top top Project Admin can unlock master branch, commit the changes, and then re-lock master.

So whenever you hear the term "hotfix", that basically means someone fukked up in Dev or QA :mjgrin:

poppastoppa

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Crack
I wanted to make one slight correction for anyone who might be a little confused.

I said multiple times above that Master is never edited. And in an ideal world.. it isn't. Its only destroyed when a release candidate is good to go, and that release candidate became the new master. However, there is a caveat to this that i'm sure everyone is aware of (its also in my slide)

This is a Hotfix.

A Hotfix is required when you promote a release candidate that has a very damaging bug that simply cannot wait for the next code sprint. The main difference is that when working on a Hotfix, the developers pull directly from master (not dev) and when they are finished they submit a pull request back to master.

Only the top top top top Project Admin can unlock master branch, commit the changes, and then re-lock master.

So whenever you hear the term "hotfix", that basically means someone fukked up in Dev or QA :mjgrin:

Happens more often then people realize. :mjgrin:

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
When the development team is responsible for the development/deployment and maintenance of an application.

Instead of relying of matrix teams for varied support....:sas2:

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
this is solid knowledge...you indirectly just helped me. I have noticed banks are slowly trying to get into devops but it just seems like a half ass measure. Capitol One seems to be the only financial firm I have seen that has adopted Devops and cloud computing in a real way.

Just saw a yr long devops contract for an investment bank at 115 an hour :ohlawd:

You Devops brehs are really eating

Boogie

Big Homie
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
This thread got me like

tenor.gif

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Preciate it breh, I just wanna see more of us in this field :wow:

Plenty of brehs are coding, which is good, but we need more enterprise level developers.
The money is out there for sure
Current CompSci student now but in the future after getting some experience in SoftWare Engineering how would I transition into devops roles?

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
@The Wave

@PaperEnterprise

so what's the work/life balance ?

most people think you have to be in management to get 6 figure salaries. I can do that, but I rather not, someone else said you can make as much as a manager does while only doing a 9-5 schedule and not worrying about working when you are off?

Is this true?