What does subscription based (digital only) content mean for the future of entertainment?

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
The money is in leasing for a seller, not selling ownership of a product.

Camammal

Half Man Half Mammal
Daps
Reppin
Marcy
I don't like it one bit honestly, as somebody who likes to own my purchases it just rubs me the wrong way. You cancel your subs you lose everything....it's just another middle person you have to go through, except the person holds the keys to all of your media. In some instances it works but it's becoming a standard.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Economic collapse by 2020 due to over-saturation. While subscription based content is good for variety and having a choice, it's too much division of content from games to entertainment which can be frustrating on consumers who can't afford to subscribe to like 20 services just to get a full course deal on what they desire. For right now, it's a developing market, it's going to hit a screeching halt when issues such as maintenance, security, and even a new form of piracy can bring the shyt full circle.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Yo, I see you one-starring my shyt :jbhmm:

On some, "for real" shyt, I'm at the point where I'm like, money doesn't matter. i can buy whatever game I want (and I'm a big supporter of games this gen). S,o it's about convenience and assesability (i can't spell.....:snoop:). I want easy to do shyt, when it comes to entertainment. If i can stream 4K, HDR, 60fps....I'm set. That shyt is amazing.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I don't fukk with it. I like owning everything. My entire music collection is in the cloud. I also occasionally cop digital albums to add to it. I'd rather cop the occcasional album I want than pay a monthly fee.

Same as far as movies. Though I do use my mothers netflix that's something I'd pay for but I still own or have movies i like digitally

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Yo, I see you one-starring my shyt :jbhmm:

On some, "for real" shyt, I'm at the point where I'm like, money doesn't matter. i can buy whatever game I want (and I'm a big supporter of games this gen). S,o it's about convenience and assesability (i can't spell.....:snoop:). I want easy to do shyt, when it comes to entertainment. If i can stream 4K, HDR, 60fps....I'm set. That shyt is amazing.

I get it but I gotta own my shyt.

And in terms on the one star, casuals get stitches :lolbron:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I get it but I gotta own my shyt.

And in terms on the one star, casuals get stitches :lolbron:
I'm like the poster child for owing shyt. I've bought every game I could ever want on steam. I have my "must have" games downloaded, but if Valve all of the sudden failed, all mt shyt would be lost. If a company can provide me with 4K, 60fps, ultra for $30 (or even $100), I'd pay that shyt. :manny:

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
Economic collapse by 2020 due to over-saturation. While subscription based content is good for variety and having a choice, it's too much division of content from games to entertainment which can be frustrating on consumers who can't afford to subscribe to like 20 services just to get a full course deal on what they desire. For right now, it's a developing market, it's going to hit a screeching halt when issues such as maintenance, security, and even a new form of piracy can bring the shyt full circle.
This was the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread topic. It may come, but it won't last. I'm not sure how this will work with Microsoft. They basically turned their console into a PC and they're trying to use the PC model for console games. I don't think it will work (hope it won't :francis:)

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I've been using a games rental service over the last year, not only am I spending far less per year on games (approx 70%) I'm playing far more games. I'm all for games as a service.

Danger ofc would be a scenario where EA/Bungie like nefarious practices are adopted widespread. To counter games like OW, pUBG & Rocket League have shown this to be extremely viable, and further back, Warcraft and MMOs in general.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I've been using a games rental service over the last year, not only am I spending far less per year on games (approx 70%) I'm playing far more games. I'm all for games as a service.

Danger ofc would be a scenario where EA/Bungie like nefarious practices are adopted widespread. To counter games like OW, pUBG & Rocket League have shown this to be extremely viable, and further back, Warcraft and MMOs in general.
Games as a service only works if you treat games as disposable media. When I own a classic game a couple decades later I can go back and replay it. Some games get stuck in licensing hell and are digitally removed from their stores when licenses expire.

As hardware ages manufactures no longer want to support it in their online infrastructure. Games as a service means that classic games can be forever lost to you for those reasons. I'm talking about a game like Lunar Silver Star Story Complete for the PS1. That game is not digitally available for any system and it never will be because the licensing is a nightmare to navigate between different companies. Vic of Working Designs (a now defunct company) who localized the game has wanted it digitally available forever but it will never happen. I own the game and I can pop it into my PS2 or 3 and play it whenever I want but on a digital service a game like that would be delisted with licensing agreements expire and simply disappear.

I prefer my games physical. I quit trading in games years ago when I reached an income level that I could afford to both buy them outright and keep them. I keep my old hardware too or at least the last hardware for a given generation that's backwards compatible with the previous generation. Games aren't disposable to me.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
I'd rather pay $10 a month for everything than $60 for one game. Just makes more sense to me especially since ownership of video games or any digital product doesn't mean much outside of die hard collectors and physical media.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'd rather pay $10 a month for everything than $60 for one game. Just makes more sense to me especially since ownership of video games or any digital product doesn't mean much outside of die hard collectors and physical media.
Code:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/108710/Alan_Wake/

This is a perfect example of the kinda crap you can expect with games as a service. When you pay a monthly fee to access a service and the game isn't physically released that game simply disappears and is lost forever.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Code:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/108710/Alan_Wake/

This is a perfect example of the kinda crap you can expect with games as a service. When you pay a monthly fee to access a service and the game isn't physically released that game simply disappears and is lost forever.

Didn't that game get pulled over licensing issues? shyt happens.

The PC market is pretty much full on digital and it's thriving but that has nothing to do with subscription-based gaming.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Didn't that game get pulled over licensing issues? shyt happens.

The PC market is pretty much full on digital and it's thriving but that has nothing to do with subscription-based gaming.
That example does because if that game wasn't physically available it would basically no longer be playable if it only existed in the cloud on a service.

This market transitioning to a full on digital only market where we pay a service fee to access games is a bad idea. Games should be preserved and accessible to anyone not on a cloud where if they get pulled over licensing they basically no longer exist.