What do you think is the best season of The Sopranos?

Best/Favorite season of The Sopranos (GOAT)

• Total voters

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
All of them are really good, but I prefer 2. It has great storylines such as Puss working with the Feds. The small plot with T-100 being a degenerate gambler. Richie was probably my favorite villain. It still has Livia being hilariously miserable, and adds awful Janice to the mix.

3 was excellent and probably my second favorite season. 4 is up there, although I didn’t care much for the Furio/Carmela thing. It did result in that amazing fight scene in Whitecaps though. 5 was good but I liked 2-4 better.

1 and 6a are the least strong. Some of the season 1 issues might be after-the-fact, since you watch the whole show and notice how different things are.

Some of the early episodes (especially the pilot) are tougher to rewatch. The beatdown in the pilot while listening to doo-wop, or Carmela pulling out an AK-47 on Meadow because she thinks it’s a burglar. The funeral scene for Jackie Sr with Tony and some underlings talking, is forced and basically telling the viewers “hey, this is what is going on in case you’re not paying attention”. There are some continuity issues, with Tony being a boss in the pilot, then a capo in the next couple episodes. Carmela knows more about Tony’s business early on and even helps Tony hide weapons in Livia’s retirement community (their relationship is also much more loving early on)

The Kevin Finnerty stuff in 6A was a little weird and not one of my favorites. Vito’s gay plotline was weak. Him getting outed and the Jersey crew’s reaction was good, but all that Johnny Cakes stuff wasn’t. When HBO had other shows with homothugs, like The Wire or Oz, it worked much better. But Vito is just not that interesting or important of a character to pull it off. The scene of him trying to work construction was one of the lone bright spots.

S 6B is the best Soprano season but it’s dark so I don’t watch the this season as often. Season 1-3 are more fun to watch if that makes any sense.

The show getting darker is a progressive thing throughout, but yeah, 6B gets very dark. Kind of depressing at times. One good thing is that they always kept the humor to at least balance out the other stuff. Even the suicide attempt in the pool is mixed in with humor, with cuts to Tony munching on hot dogs, and his exasperated “what the fukk??!!!”, before he realized how serious it was.

I thought 6A was arguably the weakest season, so 6B was a nice bounceback after that.

Season 3 was pretty tough at times, with the Melfi rape, and the stripper getting beaten to death. The stairway scene is not something I care to see when I rewatch it, but I get why it’s so graphic. It makes the viewer really want the rapist to suffer, and then that adds to the effect of the episode ending.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
S 6B is the best Soprano season but it’s dark so I don’t watch the this season as often. Season 1-3 are more fun to watch if that makes any sense.
Absolutely. And this is by design.

Season 1-2 are entertaining looks at mob stories with a GOAT level cast. S3 is David Chase kind of trying out how far he can push the show:

- The rape
- Ralphie in general
- Tony choking out Gloria
Etc

Once he realized people are really locked in he just goes really dark for S4-S6. I feel like 5 is kind of an attempt to go for that 1-3 feel with the class of '85 coming in, but then 6 starting with that season starter is just all out dark and deep and weird (in all the right ways).

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
I fukk w/ 5 heavy, but there’s some filler stuff (Carmela w/ the teacher, AJ trying to get into college), S2 had bangers start to finish
Good thing for me then that your book don't mean oogatz to me!
the-sopranos.gif

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
i did my own rewatch recently, and 5-6b were worse than i remember

6b
6a
I agree to respect your opinion. but I cant co-sign 6B being so low. besides Chasing It, 8/9 of the episodes had some of the biggest moments in the series.

Tony robbing Bobby of the last bit of his soul after he got his ass beat over Monopoly
Johnny Sac's death from cancer
Phil Leotardo's declaration of War
Christufuhs falling out with Tony
Christufuh's death by Tony's hand
AJ's attempted suicide
Tony vs Coco curb stomp literally
Bobby and Silvio getting smoked
FBI Agent Harris putting in work to help the Soprano crew
Sit down with NY
Phil getting smoked
ambiguous ending of Tony most likely dying

not in any reality I cant put 6B at any less than top 2.

that final stretch put all the chips on the line and fukk if they didnt play with a royal flush. hit after hit after hit the shyt went hard.
shyt besides the ending, this was one of the most iconic moments of the series