What do you think is the best and worst final fantasy?

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
13 gets a lot of unwarranted hate:francis:

12 is hot trash. I have no idea what people see in it.

Ivalice is probably the best FF world, if not one of the best worlds in gaming. Plus, a lot of people felt that 13's gameplay consisted of walking down long hallways, and there wasn't much exploration. There was a lot more openness to 12's locations.

The story in 12 isn't as convoluted as 13's, and doesn't depend on the player reading pages and pages of datalogs to understand wtf is going on.

Though people have an irrational hatred towards Vaan and Penelo, 12 has way more likable and interesting characters. Bathier & Basch > Snow & Sazh. Ashe and Lightning are pretty much the same person.

The Gambit system in a lot of ways was a precursor to the Paradigm Shifts, but the latter felt like a dumbed down version of the former. Writing a sort of code to program each ally was more interesting and complex than just choosing a class for them to act out.

Weapon upgrades and shop system in 13 are just terrible...

Now, where did I lie?

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Ivalice is probably the best FF world, if not one of the best worlds in gaming. Plus, a lot of people felt that 13's gameplay consisted of walking down long hallways, and there wasn't much exploration. There was a lot more openness to 12's locations.

The story in 12 isn't as convoluted as 13's, and doesn't depend on the player reading pages and pages of datalogs to understand wtf is going on.

Though people have an irrational hatred towards Vaan and Penelo, 12 has way more likable and interesting characters. Bathier & Basch > Snow & Sazh. Ashe and Lightning are pretty much the same person.

The Gambit system in a lot of ways was a precursor to the Paradigm Shifts, but the latter felt like a dumbed down version of the former. Writing a sort of code to program each ally was more interesting and complex than just choosing a class for them to act out.

Weapon upgrades and shop system in 13 are just terrible...

Now, where did I lie?
Ivalice bored me to tears

the party sucks - the highlight is bathier and his cosplay bunny. i don't think ashe and lightning got anything in common past the hair cut. lightning is objectively a piece of shyt and bad person :mjlol: and i respect it. 13 series is all scumbags.

gambit system got nothing to do with paradigm shifts. one is the same shyt you'd see in any western classic rpg where you can preset ai options and the other is selecting roles. they have nothing in common.

"use potion when hp < 30%" etc is not special. its been around forever. i will never understand people's love for the gambit system as some stand alone, unique thing when its been standard to the CRPG genre since baldurs gate :dead:

weapon upgrades are generally a waste of time in general so they just said fukk it and skipped shops in general. some people love to sit and micromanage and that's where the division lies. :sas1: if you like western style management, storytelling, and pacing in a jrpg - then 12 is the perfect RPG for you. It hits all of those marks. But you could just play Knights of The Old Republic 2 or something

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
For the best mainline games, 8-10
For the worst: 12,11,2

For the nonmainline ones: Crisis Core, Tactics A2, Dissidia 1/2
For the worst: Type - 0, The new Dissidia, and World of FF.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
Ivalice bored me to tears

the party sucks -

Oh I see, you just have shyt taste

the highlight is bathier and his cosplay bunny. i don't think ashe and lightning got anything in common past the hair cut. lightning is objectively a piece of shyt and bad person :mjlol: and i respect it. 13 series is all scumbags.

Yeah, 13's characters are all hateable, maybe excluding Sazh. Not a one is well written or thought out. No highlights at all.

gambit system got nothing to do with paradigm shifts. one is the same shyt you'd see in any western classic rpg where you can preset ai options and the other is selecting roles. they have nothing in common.

They're similar when compared to other methods of combat used throughout the franchise. Going from a battle system where the player selects each character's action per turn, to one where they're all automated didn't start until 12.

"use potion when hp < 30%" etc is not special. its been around forever. i will never understand people's love for the gambit system as some stand alone, unique thing when its been standard to the CRPG genre since baldurs gate :dead:

I never said it was particularly unique.... just a lot better than the paradigm system.

weapon upgrades are generally a waste of time in general so they just said fukk it and skipped shops in general. some people love to sit and micromanage and that's where the division lies. :sas1: if you like western style management, storytelling, and pacing in a jrpg - then 12 is the perfect RPG for you. It hits all of those marks. But you could just play Knights of The Old Republic 2 or something

If you're going to have an upgrade & shop system, but half-ass it, you might as well leave it out all together. But just compare Rabanastre to Coc00n. Having something even as simple as physical buildings for shopping adds to illusion that these are living, breathing cities.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
changed my vote

9 is WOAT followed by 12
Oh I see, you just have shyt taste

Yeah, 13's characters are all hateable, maybe excluding Sazh. Not a one is well written or thought out. No highlights at all.

They're similar when compared to other methods of combat used throughout the franchise. Going from a battle system where the player selects each character's action per turn, to one where they're all automated didn't start until 12.

I never said it was particularly unique.... just a lot better than the paradigm system.

If you're going to have an upgrade & shop system, but half-ass it, you might as well leave it out all together. But just compare Rabanastre to Coc00n. Having something even as simple as physical buildings for shopping adds to illusion that these are living, breathing cities.
having hateable characters is fine and people should do it more instead of rolling out a bunch of forgettable everymen and good guys. having lame ducks that bring out nothing from the roster though? placeholders are placeholders man. i'll take the scumbags

and you're gonna have to elaborate on the battle system similarities. they've got nothing in common outside of being real time. and again, just with how the developers of FF15 borrowed their exploration ideas heavily from what the creators considered the 'strengths' of Skyrim, the combat of FF12 was borrowed heavily from MMA macros and classic style RPGs. So in the specific FF franchise? Oh yeah it was brand new. From the outside looking in? It was a poorly executed chore to cover for otherwise braindead party AI that had no concept of synergy unless the player personally demanded it. how gaining and assigning qualifiers/conditionals for the party somehow matches up with on the fly role switching while keeping an eye on enemy states and damage multipliers? I don't see it

and again if you want to shop around and be a party micromanager.... then yeah. you'll hate something that never even vaguely tries to give a fukk about it :yeshrug: that's not half-assing, that's a matter of emphasis and priority from the start. ff13 never intended to have it be a priority or even gives the player that idea so how can it be negative?

rabanstre/ivalice is boring as hell and drab to look at. i honestly don't understand how people can look at 12 and not see it as a bunch of polished up assets from FF11. its a single player mmo.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
8 is like the movie that's so bad its good.The romance between Squall and Rinoa was lame, and the characters in general were meh. The story really goes off of the deep end after the first cd but after a while I interested in seeing how ridiculous it would get.The gameplay isn't balanced well at all, but still I found it fun to break the game and make your characters overpowered. The art direction was really good though, I enjoyed the the aesthetics of the world( it pulled of the modern and fantasy setting mashup really well) and the soundtrack is the best in the series imo( it's arguably the best soundtrack in all of gaming). It's in the middle of my list, but it's the game I wanna see remade the most out of the series because I think it's art and environments would translate amazingly today, and the gameplay can be tweaked to be made into something really fun.

ELESDEE616

Nikkas snitch on the coli like they name is Kobe
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kobe snitched on Shaq
8 - Mostly nostalgia talking as I know most people can't stand the combat system and find the story convoluted. However it was the first FF I played and Squall was a G and the limit breaks were the best in the series. Also the fact that Squall died in disc 1 and you were just living out his fantasy :whew:

10 - Tidus was perhaps the worst main character in series history. But easily the best story twist imho and combat system. That heavy metal soundtrack at the beginning and when you fight SIN :blessed:

7 - Best villain and best twist in the series and best villain. Also beating all the Omega weapons :myman:

15 - Would be higher up the list if the plot wasn't so thin. :russell: Warping was so dope and it was a good attempt at open world but the world was mostly empty and the cities you could go to were trash.

9. Zidane was the first FF character with real swag. More upbeat than 7 and 8. However outside of Vivi and Freya the characters were pretty weak and the final boss might be the worst in franchise history

13 - loved the combat, character specific summons and character designs, however perhaps the most annoying characters in FF. The main character didn't even feel like she fit in that world and the dialogue was :scust: I beat that game front to back and I still don't know wtf the story was about. Didn't mind the hallway, hell 10 was a hall way too but whoever wrote it was half retarded.

12 - only FF I never finished :manny:. I even figured out a cheat to Max my party to 100 in the first 3rd of the game. Didn't even give enough fukks to play it through and I'm a huuuuge fan.

12 should've been a spin off. I'm convinced 12 along with the shytty movie is a big reason why Squaresoft almost went completely under. Make an RPG without a main character to play :skip:

Last edited: