What did you start cooking when you first learned how to cook?

Raava

Staff member
Daps
I always say start with the types of food you like. What is your favorite types of cuisine? Google simple recipes for that.

I loved Italian food so I was making pasta a lot and pasta is easy. Then I started helping with holiday dishes.

WHIPPEDCream

♔Evil Queen.
Daps
Reppin
The Seven Five
I always say start with the types of food you like. What is your favorite types of cuisine? Google simple recipes for that.

I loved Italian food so I was making pasta a lot and pasta is easy. Then I started helping with holiday dishes.

I love pasta!:noah:
If I knew how to make some legit home made chicken alfredo,I would probably eat it everday,lol.I might try that first.

I learned how to cook last year lol. I learned how to make gumbo and Italian foods( such as spaghetti). I'm in charge of a dish this year for thanksgiving but I don't know exactly what I'm going to make lol

Did the gumbo take long to make? & Okay, I'm definently adding spaghetti to the list! I feel like it's an essential to know how to make. & That sounds fun! I would love to be the person in my family that people want to cook during the holidays.:to:

Does pancakes count?
Rice
Kraft Mac n Cheese
fish sticks and tator tots
Sliced fried hot dogs and baked beans
Spaghetti, meatballs and frozen garlic bread.

I just learned how to make pancakes about a year ago:laugh: I never knew it was so easy. & My Mother actually told me rice was hard to make.Do you have a rice cooker?

Lana del Rey

Only the ocean can separate us....
Daps
Reppin
Atl
If I knew how to make some legit home made chicken alfredo,I would probably eat it everday,lol.I might try that first.

Did the gumbo take long to make? & Okay, I'm definently adding spaghetti to the list! I feel like it's an essential to know how to make. & That sounds fun! I would love to be the person in my family that people want to cook during the holidays.:to:

I just learned how to make pancakes about a year ago:laugh: I never knew it was so easy. & My Mother actually told me rice was hard to make.Do you have a rice cooker?

The gumbo was hard to make the first time I tried to cook it but after making it over and over again it got easier lol. You should most definitely add spaghetti to your list :ohlawd:

PeridotPuss

Levels on levels on levels ahead
Supporter
Daps
Yea, start with foods you like so you have a good idea of how they should taste.

Understand really learning how to cook is trial and error. Some things will taste great, some just okay but stick with it.

Is corny as it sounds, following recipes at first is actually helpful because after a while you get the feel of what works and what doesn't and what flavors balance each other.

Just enjoy it, making something new and having it come out glorious is like :blessed: such a good feeling.

I first started at 1 8ish with baked macaroni, baked chicken, mashed potatoes, tacos, spaghetti and like every variety of chicken breast recipe possible. Just have fun with it.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere

No, I make it in a pot.
2 cups water : 1cup rice
(Salt and butter optional)
  1. Bring everything in pot to boil.
  2. Turn down to simmer
  3. Once you see the craters in the rice. Turn off the heat and leave on stove to steam. 10-20 mins.

M'gann

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
French Toast when I was about 10.

Probably why I don't care for it now.

I moved onto chicken and rice a few years later after watching my mom make Sunday dinners.

MoonGoddess

Packing All The Flavour You Need
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fantasy.
Didnt really have a choice in the matter lol. Probay around 9-10. I've been helping my sister since about 6 she'd be like watch what im doing because youre gonna have to do this one day.
I think the first thing i made was chicken and rice. The rice was soggy but the chicken was okay. And from then on i would cook for me and my niece because my sister worked all day.
But yeah like some have said, start with what you like. Eggs are easy, rice, pasta dishes are the easiest by far. You literally can make a dish by boiling pasta, chopping up some veggies and sautéing it with some garlic and butter, add parmesan cheese or whatever cheese you like and :whew:
Baked chicken, baked fish all really simple. The internet is your friend. They literally have channels that will show you how to make meals step by step.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
I would say follow recipes but in my family we don't have recipes. We just say a dash of this, a lil of this. My grandma taught me to cook and I'm a visual learner. Gumbo, banana pudding, pork roast, fried okra etc. she was all about sitting together on a Sunday to have a real meal. She would spend the entire morning and afternoon preparing a meal for Sunday dinner. Cooking can be fun. Starting off small maybe learn to cook what you like first, is it baked chicken, some vegetable sautee? Or maybe steamed veggies? Those are pretty easy you just have to make sure you don't cook em for too long.