Essential What Are You Listening To?

brownsugah

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Yo, I have a question for the music lovers that post what they're listening to.
What catches your ear?:ehh:
What makes your head nod?:blessed:
What moves you the most the lyrics, the melody, the groove, the harmonies(vocal or instruments) the singer the progression?:feedme:
What do you listen to when you are hearing music? For example, as a failed musician and DJ:snoop: I listen for different phrases in music or a cadence like this Badu song "Out My Mind"

the top note repeats but I never get tired of it.
Other examples depending on the genre what instruments are out in front of the mix.
Or is it not that serious its just music for you?:yeshrug:

I'm someone that goes off of melody and production first. The song's structure/composition has to catch me first in order to get into a song. I love great chord progressions too. Vocals come second. I am a sucker for a great vocal arrangement and I love great harmonies..especially when a singer knows how to stack them right. Then from there, I focus on the lyricism/storytelling, and I have to somewhat feel what someone is singing about too..it's a plus when there is emotion behind the lyrics too. Those are key components for me personally when it comes to a good song. I also have some great audiophile headphones that allow me to really catch on to sounds/elements within a song that I couldn't hear as clearly as I did with lower-end headphones. Even when a song is terribly mixed...which is a pet peeve of mine.

Last edited:

Trustus

Black like the planet that they fear
Supporter
Daps
I'm someone that goes off of melody and production first. The song's structure/composition has to catch me first in order to get into a song. I love great chord progressions too. Vocals come second. I am a sucker for a great vocal arrangement and I love great harmonies..especially when a singer knows how to stack them right. Then from there, I focus on the lyricism/storytelling, and I have to somewhat feel what someone is singing about too..it's a plus when there is emotion behind the lyrics too. Those are key components for me personally when it comes to a good song. I also have some great audiophile headphones that allow me to really catch on to sounds/elements within a song that I couldn't hear as clearly as I did with lower-end headphones. Even when a song is terribly mixed...which is a pet peeve of mine.
:salute:Thanks for answering the question
I think that melody hooks everyone at first, its either melody or a good rhythmic pattern.
Very true about that emotion behind the lyrics rappin or singin I gots to have it or I won't feel the song.
Does it matter the sex of the artist? The reason I ask is so, people prefer a female vocals over a males.
I see you post R&B. What decade of R&B, Soul music do you prefer?

brownsugah

Banned
Supporter
Daps
:salute:Thanks for answering the question
I think that melody hooks everyone at first, its either melody or a good rhythmic pattern.
Very true about that emotion behind the lyrics rappin or singin I gots to have it or I won't feel the song.
Does it matter the sex of the artist? The reason I ask is so, people prefer a female vocals over a males.
I see you post R&B. What decade of R&B, Soul music do you prefer?
Gender doesn't matter to me at all. If you can sing, then you can sing. lol. I love a great tone and just someone who has a good musical ear.

I listen to mostly 90s R&B, but I love the 70s, 80s, and early 00s as well. I've been getting into more soul and blues of the 60s too. :smile: