What are you expecting and hoping to see in the future of video games?

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I don't need graphics to be any better.
I would like to see physics improved across the board.
Way more done in terms of particle effects and overall destruction of environments.
I'd love to see the day where in an FPS game every single bullet left a hole/damage on every surface. Every surface would be destructible within real life physics. C4 and grenades blowing throw entire walls and vehicles. Some games do this on a much smaller scale. Battlefield comes closest to what I'm describing.

Aside from that, I think graphics have come at the sacrifice of good stories.
I have much fonder memories of the stories told in games from the SNES and PS1 era than I do of any games that released after them.
With very limited graphics, people were more encouraged to make the stories more engaging.
I'd like to see that brought back more. High level writing with twists and turns that hold your interest and push debates even after you finish the game.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
better AI
better design tools so that indie devs can step up to something other than the 8-bit aesthetic
Many indie games that are poppin ain’t just pixel based games

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
Can't say that I want "innovation" since that's all a lot of people talk about and for the most part, the 360 era pretty much had it all. Yeah, load times are better and "dust particles" oooohhhh. But still.

What I want now are more games that are AAA level but not necessarily from the same devs and studios.

Sleeping Dogs, Prototype, inFAMOUS and Force Unleashed are all over decade without a new game. Meanwhile Assassin's Creed are hit and miss, Watchdogs is iffy, GTA is LOL and Saints Row is abysmal after that reboot.

Yeah Spiderman 2, Suicide Squad and Wolverine are coming out but that's years away. No one seems to think the crime sandbox genre is worth getting into despite GTA not making a new game in YEARS. It's like the medium is half stagnant at the top and too underfunded in the middle.

I'm not asking just for old games or nostalgia. I want MORE games coming out. Yes, Covid...but at one point we had games coming out every 2 months. Now it seems like everyone is afraid to release anything.