What are the best midwest cities with at least 30% Black people?

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Still looking for a ‘Black mecca,’ the new Great Migration

But as fast as the money was coming in, it was going out. And when Minnesota moved toward HMOs and their complex rules and regulation, D’Ivoire Johnson says, her grandfather’s days were numbered. After years of legal fights and audits, Johnson closed his clinic in 1988 and quickly lost his real estate, too. D’Ivoire Johnson thinks her grandfather’s legal problems were part of a much larger issue facing the city’s Black leaders.

“My friend Stacey would joke there’s something going on in Minnesota. The moment you make $149,999, there’s some White person somewhere in some office that comes to find you,” she said.

“Every Black person in Minnesota that I’ve seen try to have some independence and do very well, I’ve watched them get dismantled for minor technicalities,” she added. “I’ve been working in financial institutions since the foreclosure crisis in audit and compliance positions, so I’ve actually seen the things that they do and Black folks just could never … I now sit in these institutions that are constantly under the consent order and they get to survive. We don’t. If a Black business is audited, it’s going to close.”

When D’Ivoire Johnson decided to leave Minneapolis, it was in hopes of not having her two sons grow up in what’s been called the “Minnesota paradox.” The phrase was coined by labor economist Samuel L. Myers Jr. in reference to how while Minnesotans enjoy some of the highest living standards in the country, they also suffer from some of the widest racial gaps in employment and income.

“I wanted my kids to grow up and see Black people thriving,” she said. “Minneapolis is great, but not for Black folks. If you ever really want to participate in the economy in a way that’s going to create growth, you can’t do that in Minneapolis.

“Minneapolis has a nonprofit mind-set, especially for Black people,” Johnson said. “So if you want to be a nonprofit, meaning nonprofitable, live in Minneapolis.”
So according to this a black man can’t be succesful in Minneapolis?

I imagine the reason being is because the blacks there probably read bullshyt articles like this.

Who Not How

Superstar
Daps
So according to this a black man can’t be succesful in Minneapolis?

I imagine the reason being is because the blacks there probably read bullshyt articles like this.
Man you can't dismiss a community's history in a city you aren't from. That's being very rude to everything their people went through.

Yeah an individual can be successful but most of these cities didn't legally allow Black Americans to get educated in good schools and get real money until the 70s and 80s. We came around after they already broke down barriers and laid a foundation. But we still breaking down barriers to this day.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
Indianapolis

nikkas saying literally anywhere in Ohio over Indianapolis are lying to themselves. literally nobody in the Midwest is tryna move anywhere over there lmao

So many people saying Chicago. Most black folks are leaving or have left Chicago.

Not through any fault of their own for a lot of them.

A LOT of white people are moving to Chicago

Sir Richard Spirit

Superstar
Daps
Because of where they were living and the fact that opportunity did not present itself. If you are a professional, you are loving the Chicago area as a black person. If you are in the wild hundreds or just south of downtown working part time and groaning every time your neighborhood is mentioned in the news, of course you are leaving. Folks are going to Detroit and Indiana to escape some of the foolishness as well as down south. Any one actually making money has more incentive to stay.

Most people I know with money moved to Indiana. Regardless of the race