What are some must-read comic books?

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
superhero books stink

Ill drop some fire:

Preacher
Punisher: Welcome Back Frank
Thief of Thieves
Chrononauts
Y: The Last Man

WhenWeWereKings

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Off the top of my head....

X-Men God Loves Man Kills
Captain America: Out of Time/The Winter Soldier
Watchmen
Batman The Killing Joke
Daredevil Yellow
Daredevil Guardian Devil
All Star Superman
Kingdom Come
Justice League Tower of Babel
Superman: Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow
Spiderman the Death of Jean Dewolff
Spiderman Kraven's Last Hunt
Batman The Long Halloween
Y: The Last Man (all of it)
Black Panther (all pf priest's run)

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I went into a comicbook store the other day. I've never read one. I just looked at the toys and left because i was overwhelmed :heh:

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
About to start Daredevil: Born Again. Would like some more.

I'm reading Ms. Marvel/Spider-Man (Miles) currently. I like them, but I want to venture into classics.

My advice as a comic collector is start with something with less than 50+ years of issues. :dead:
That way you can start at the beginning and not miss anything.

My suggeston is read Marvel's eXiles. The Exiles hop around in and out of dimensions and time periods so it features characters from X-Men, Avengers, Spiderman, Hulk, Fantastic Four... etc. Its a continuous never ending cross-over with a rotating roster. But I suggest this cause you indicated an interest in the classics. The exiles visit points within the Marvel Universe that are considered pinacle to keeping the timestream pure... so classic events like the trial of the Dark Phoenix, the moment the gamma bomb turned Bruce Banner into Hulk, etc. These are all rewatched in the pages of exiles. It'll catch you up on the current on-goings as well as the history of the Marvel universe and it goes into many what if scenereos... like worlds were many of the supervillains plans were succcessful and what could have happened at crucual moments if events went differently.

i.e. everytime a crazy villain tries to do something and is stopped, it creates a dimension where that villain tried that same thing- but was successful.
Exiles explores those possibilities.

th

exiles.jpg

Apex

Banned
Daps
My advice as a comic collector is start with something with less than 50+ years of issues. :dead:
That way you can start at the beginning and not miss anything.

My suggeston is read Marvel's eXiles. The Exiles hop around in and out of dimensions and time periods so it features characters from X-Men, Avengers, Spiderman, Hulk, Fantastic Four... etc. Its a continuous never ending cross-over with a rotating roster. But I suggest this cause you indicated an interest in the classics. The exiles visit points within the Marvel Universe that are considered pinacle to keeping the timestream pure... so classic events like the trial of the Dark Phoenix, the moment the gamma bomb turned Bruce Banner into Hulk, etc. These are all rewatched in the pages of exiles. It'll catch you up on the current on-goings as well as the history of the Marvel universe and it goes into many what if scenereos... like worlds were many of the supervillains plans were succcessful and what could have happened at crucual moments if events went differently.

i.e. everytime a crazy villain tries to do something and is stopped, it creates a dimension where that villain tried that same thing- but was successful.
Exiles explores those possibilities.

th

exiles.jpg
When I said "classic," I meant classic as in all-time great comic/essential comic to read. A classic can be something that came out a couple years ago.

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
The comics that are regarded as classics are pretty well defined already.
Killing Joke, Laughing Fish, Dark Knight, Phoenix Saga, Infinite Crisis, etc.

Thing is... much like re-watching Nightmare on Elmstreet 1, some things simply do not age well.
You might want to look up Tower of Babel (DC) its one of the better ones.
Or Salvation Run (also DC) if you want to see the epic showdown of TeamLex vs TeamJoker.

Since you are open to new school stuff check out Marvel's Runaways.
Its one of the smarter more edgy entries. It breaks away from their normal format. Its not even set in New York.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Marvel:

Spider-man:
- Death of the Stacys
- Kraven's Last Hunt

Fantastic Four:
- Silver Surfer: the Coming of Galactus

X-men:
- Dark Phoenix Saga
- Days of Future Past
- God Loves, Man Kills

Daredevil:
- Born Again

Miscellaneous:
- Infinity Gauntlet
- Walt Simonson's run on Thor ( :banderas: )

(I'm mostly a Marvel reader, so I'll let the brehs who know better than me recommend some DC stuff beyond obvious classics like Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, Year One, and The Killing Joke :whew: )

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's been said before in this thread, but All-Star Superman is crucial reading. I generally dislike Superman, but that series is damn near flawless, and made me understand why superman fans like him.

DMR

Killa
Daps
Planetary
All-Star Superman
Watchmen
Sandman
Preacher

Five books I'd say that put you in the right direction.

This. Also I really recommend:

Lucifer
Hellblazer (earlier runs)
Green Arrow (Mike Grell run)