Westside Gunn - Who Made The Sunshine (Discussion Thread)

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I’m a fan, but there is such a thing called over saturation :yeshrug:
Especially when every project virtually sounds the same. Everything bleeds together, nothing feels like an “album” as much as another collection of songs thrown together.

I’m glad Benny and Conway are being more deliberate about their projects. Lulu has a specific feel and thematic touch due to the Paid In Full clips. Plugs I Met is more than just coke raps, with some interesting personal or background/history raps. That’s what you gotta do to keep from being one note. If I’m a producer I’m pushing Gunn to open up. Why did Machine Gun mean a lot to you, besides him being super gangsta. What’s it like being a father? How do you separate time with her and time with the art. What’s it like seeing snakes in the industry. Give us some shyt beyond coke and fashion.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
"and I was ready for my first major release album and now it’s officially here “WHO MADE THE SUNSHINE” every project has been painted diff and with purpose, I know soon I’ll be done rapping but I have to give u WSG on a diff level this project I swear is my best work to date and I know it’s great bc it took me a week to make and not 2 days lol..."

:snooze:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Especially when every project virtually sounds the same. Everything bleeds together, nothing feels like an “album” as much as another collection of songs thrown together.

I’m glad Benny and Conway are being more deliberate about their projects. Lulu has a specific feel and thematic touch due to the Paid In Full clips. Plugs I Met is more than just coke raps, with some interesting personal or background/history raps. That’s what you gotta do to keep from being one note. If I’m a producer I’m pushing Gunn to open up. Why did Machine Gun mean a lot to you, besides him being super gangsta. What’s it like being a father? How do you separate time with her and time with the art. What’s it like seeing snakes in the industry. Give us some shyt beyond coke and fashion.

This here.

I've been a fan since day one, but it's getting a little OD with all these projects that sound exactly the same. I always want new music, but he's dropping way too many projects, too often. Almost like it's out of fear of not being relevant. He needs more standout work. He should chill and put something together that's going to separate the new shyt from what he's done already. It's really like he's making the same joint over and over again, lol. I usually just throw them on shuffle. He needs a project that's going to take him to the next level. I don’t think dropping a million of the same album is going to do that.

RIPODB

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
East Side
"Everything I’ve done thus far has led up to this moment,"

Thus far meaning the last 3 weeks? Come on man.

No knock on him, and I'll never be mad at new music. But let's not act like this shyt is centuries in the making.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
he puts more effort in his IG captions when he's trying to sell us on his new material than he does his bars.
#AERT #CULTURE @JayVersace (heart emoji) (rainbow flag emoji) #Ally
:dead: at "aert".

That's exactly how they say that shyt.

I thought Pray For Paris was his debut:wtf:
...Anyways looking forward to the beats:ehh:
I thought Flygod was his debut. Then I thought it was Supreme Blientele. Awesome God 1 seemed like it could've been, but Pray for Paris seemed lie the one he was pushing hardest as his true debut. Who knows with these guys.

So far, Benny is the only one that has remained consistent about that. He said Tana Talk 3 was his official debut and he's stuck with that.

I have very little expectations for this after Awesome God 2, so hopefully I'll just be pleasantly surprised.

Also, does anyone have a tracklist or production credits? Someone told me the production is all Daringer and Beat Butcha (working together like they did on WWCD), with a couple of Alchemist beats on the side.

Can anyone confirm that?

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
This here.

I've been a fan since day one, but it's getting a little OD with all these projects that sound exactly the same. I always want new music, but he's dropping way too many projects, too often. Almost like it's out of fear of not being relevant. He needs more standout work. He should chill and put something together that's going to separate the new shyt from what he's done already. It's really like he's making the same joint over and over again, lol. I usually just throw them on shuffle. He needs a project that's going to take him to the next level. I don’t think dropping a million of the same album is going to do that.
Yea, and WSG doesn't have enough variety in content to warrant dropping every 3 months. Benny hasn't dropped anything solo since June of 2019, by the time he drops his next one, WSG will have dropped 5 solo projects in that time period (Awesome God, Hermes 7, Paris, Awesome God 2, Sunshine). And Benny is a more versatile emcee than WSG.

Evidence had a dope bar on Runners off his last album that is true, and there's a balance to walk.

things I never thought about/
tried to be elusive/
in the process got forgot about/

You can over-saturate and you can stay gone for too long. There's definitely a nice balance to walk. I think one really great project every 12-18 months is the perfect way to do it, with maybe a little short EP in between to hold people over.