Western Digital unveils WD TV Play streaming box

BIGDENNIS10UK

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
ok, I thought you were talking about the actual volume. yeah, the 360 can be a rocket ship

Yeah, I was watching bbc Iplayer on it the other day, gets on my nerves with all the blowing like some old school PC.

2gunsup

Satsui No Hado
Daps
Reppin
Popozudas
360 costs 200 and you need a live subscription to use apps. It's best for streaming sports though, I'll give it that.

Not to mention the 360 consumes 175W during use compared to Roku's 5W and WDTV's 9W.

Only way I'd pick the WD device over a Roku is if it had a native Plex client or XBMC. The WD devices are capable of playing more formats out of the box than a Roku. Roku's are real picky about which MKV's they are capable of playing. That's when Plex steps in, :shaq:

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
I don't have either my nikkas. Looking to get 1. What should I go with?

I want something I could hook a flash drive up to and play Vids if possible.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
most PCs have HDMI on them these days. honestly what's the point of something like this in the face of that? honestly i don't even have a computer monitor in my apartment. both my PCs are hooked up to 42-55 inch TVs and due to the nature of my wireless network i can access media on either one on either TV and even if i didn't have 2 PCs i still got my HD netbook which also has HDMI on it.

even beyond that many of these Smart TVs can also access media off your home network. my LG LM7600 can for instance. unless you got a shytty TV these dedicated boxes don't seem worth much.

RJY33

master of reality
Daps
WD Live Streaming>>>>>>>>>>>

Streams from your comp, USB ports for hooking up hard drives, IOS app remote, nice interface, most apps except amazon. shyts on roku and apple tv. 1080p bluray rips with DTS :ahh:

Daps
Reppin
Pittsburgh
most PCs have HDMI on them these days. honestly what's the point of something like this in the face of that? honestly i don't even have a computer monitor in my apartment. both my PCs are hooked up to 42-55 inch TVs and due to the nature of my wireless network i can access media on either one on either TV and even if i didn't have 2 PCs i still got my HD netbook which also has HDMI on it.

even beyond that many of these Smart TVs can also access media off your home network. my LG LM7600 can for instance. unless you got a shytty TV these dedicated boxes don't seem worth much.

So if you have a TV that you bought before the Smart TV's came out are you supposed to buy a new TV just to keep up with the new technology and throw the other TV in the bushes and the money you spent with it?

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
WD Live Streaming>>>>>>>>>>>

Streams from your comp, USB ports for hooking up hard drives, IOS app remote, nice interface, most apps except amazon. shyts on roku and apple tv. 1080p bluray rips with DTS :ahh:

Cool.

It shyts on Roku yet a Roku can do everything that you just described

:dead:

kash10003

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
who has a netflix client that can compete with that of the ps3 or the pc though? my appletv2 netflix :flabbynsick:

BIGDENNIS10UK

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Wdtv live video scraping makes my file collection look so beautiful, that's worth 70 pounds to me on its own.

My wdtv player is my favourite bit of tech I ever bought and it isn't even expensive.